Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Running Great for 12 years
By Marshall

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my 2nd Subaru and handles the Washington winters-I've pulled many larger cars and 4X4's up our hill with this car. The 5 sp manual is fun, gets better acceleration/mileage than an automatic. It has been very reliable, though it has a slow oil leak and have had to replace the struts. It goes very well off road, hauls a trailer easily, and has a very versatile interior for hauling people or cargo. The exterior paint has been very durable. It could use higher headrests, exterior mirror pivots, better drink holders in a better position, and better sound insulation. Three kids have learned to drive on this car and I plan to keep it until "Sabastian" is abducted to college.

AWD, safety rating, good gas mileage (for AWD), flexible interior, seat height adjuster

Love My Subee
By ChrisD

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I loved my Subaru. After 200,200 miles I am putting it down. It was an incredibly reliable car. I bought it with 145,000 and added 55,000 more. At 195,000 the head gasket blew. I repaired it and many other things. Then last week the tranny blew and I decided to get a new car. MPG could have been better. All she required was basic maintenance (other than the 2 big issues). I'll get another. Excellent durable vehicle if you maintain it. Perfect for the outdoorsy person. It went to hundreds of bike races happily! Tons of space.

Tons of space. Comfortable interior.

MPG

Read the reviews, don't buy a boxer
By Outwayback

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Car was OK for a few years, then lights in some of the dash went out, and on the heated seat switches (but only on high?). Brakes go often and cost $1000 for rotors and pads. Struts feel like they are bad but have not confirmed. Water pump, cam seals, head gaskets etc. have been replaced. Now, like MANY other reviewers, the head gaskets blew out and I am looking at $2,000 to fix them. The front end bushings are also shot - $400. What gives? This car is driven lightly for under 100K miles and is garaged!

AWD, adventure vehicle.

A better engine! Better fit and finish, better reliability. Longer warranty. How come KIA has a better warranty?

It is no Toyota
By fistik

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

It is not a bad car to drive. comfortable for a 4wd. Decent pickup with auto trans. OK gas mileage. I have owned it for only 4 months so I can't comment on reliability. My guess is not as good as Honda or Toyota. Shortcomings: for a $27,000 car skimpy parts and options (no light for ignition key, windows). Poor design (open a window switch and you'll see). Other parts are similarly designed. I would never buy it new. Definitely overpriced. Honda or Toyota should design a similar car.

Looks are not bad. 4WD. Cargo space.

Reliability and workmanship. Better interior design.

Subaru Blues
By mbgphoto

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car in 2001 with about 85k it. Spent $10k on what was at the time a perfect running car. Probably too much but this was the only 5 speed I could find. Had a great time in 18 inches of snow where the car plowed through even with old Michelin XW4s on it. Then the problems started. First an alternator which was covered by recall, then the interior started to fall apart. (cargo cover tabs, cargo net hooks pulled out, panel that covers the spare cracked) Whistling sound under acceleration cannot be remedied by 3 dealers, 2 mechanics. Timing belt, clutch, tranny, CV, wheel bearing, 2 oxygen sensors, cat converter, brakes, 2 sets of 80k Michelins in 50k miles! Over $2,500!

Exterior style, super easy oil change, Great AWD in snow especially, factory stereo, bomb proof roof rack, cold weather package.

MORE COMFORTABLE SEATS! Beef up sloppy manual tranny, more power or turbo for the intake on the hood, adjustable ride height, stronger interior components especially in the cargo bay, develop more reliable engine, better cup holders, offer a super rugged off road version. Oh, and better gas mileage.