Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1997 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Expected it to last longer
By Dr. Pat

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This was my second Subaru. I bought it new and just like my predecessor GL, it did not last past 125K miles. This last week discovered the leaking head gaskets, catalytic below par and a leak in the fuel tank. I took precious care of this car but I live in NE and the road salt must have gotten to the fuel tank. However, isn't this what the car was made for? I had just put $2K into repairs over the last year for things like timing pulleys, brakes, etc. I don't know whether I should get another one. They just don't seem to be economical unless you are mechanically inclined.

Gas mileage (30mpg with manual trans.), heated seats and windows, engine block heater, cargo storage, split rear seats. I had actually preferred the four wheel drive to the AWD version.

The head gasket issue, poor interior design with the stupid cup holders blocking the stereo controls on the standard shift cars. Put back in the cold weather package option for us Northerners.

Running Great for 12 years
By Marshall

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my 2nd Subaru and handles the Washington winters-I've pulled many larger cars and 4X4's up our hill with this car. The 5 sp manual is fun, gets better acceleration/mileage than an automatic. It has been very reliable, though it has a slow oil leak and have had to replace the struts. It goes very well off road, hauls a trailer easily, and has a very versatile interior for hauling people or cargo. The exterior paint has been very durable. It could use higher headrests, exterior mirror pivots, better drink holders in a better position, and better sound insulation. Three kids have learned to drive on this car and I plan to keep it until "Sabastian" is abducted to college.

AWD, safety rating, good gas mileage (for AWD), flexible interior, seat height adjuster

Love My Subee
By ChrisD

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I loved my Subaru. After 200,200 miles I am putting it down. It was an incredibly reliable car. I bought it with 145,000 and added 55,000 more. At 195,000 the head gasket blew. I repaired it and many other things. Then last week the tranny blew and I decided to get a new car. MPG could have been better. All she required was basic maintenance (other than the 2 big issues). I'll get another. Excellent durable vehicle if you maintain it. Perfect for the outdoorsy person. It went to hundreds of bike races happily! Tons of space.

Tons of space. Comfortable interior.

MPG

Read the reviews, don't buy a boxer
By Outwayback

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Car was OK for a few years, then lights in some of the dash went out, and on the heated seat switches (but only on high?). Brakes go often and cost $1000 for rotors and pads. Struts feel like they are bad but have not confirmed. Water pump, cam seals, head gaskets etc. have been replaced. Now, like MANY other reviewers, the head gaskets blew out and I am looking at $2,000 to fix them. The front end bushings are also shot - $400. What gives? This car is driven lightly for under 100K miles and is garaged!

AWD, adventure vehicle.

A better engine! Better fit and finish, better reliability. Longer warranty. How come KIA has a better warranty?

It is no Toyota
By fistik

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

It is not a bad car to drive. comfortable for a 4wd. Decent pickup with auto trans. OK gas mileage. I have owned it for only 4 months so I can't comment on reliability. My guess is not as good as Honda or Toyota. Shortcomings: for a $27,000 car skimpy parts and options (no light for ignition key, windows). Poor design (open a window switch and you'll see). Other parts are similarly designed. I would never buy it new. Definitely overpriced. Honda or Toyota should design a similar car.

Looks are not bad. 4WD. Cargo space.

Reliability and workmanship. Better interior design.