1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Nice ride- love the AWD
By mjd on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

This is the 2nd Legacy GT sedan I've owned and both have been solid rides. The interior is laid out well and functions well. I live in Wisconsin and you can't beat the AWD for making sure you can get around in the winter. I have the 5-speed and it beats the automatic, but more power would make this a GREAT car.

What Could Go Wrong Next?
By BMA on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

The alternator went...the antenna will not retract automatically...the dash lights behind the heating controls do not work...the radio would turn on only when it felt like it and would sometimes be off for days...the wiring to the headlights had to be completely redone by a dealer...the driver's side door lock does not turn...the left rear passenger window control does not work...burning oil smell coming from the engine...and this week while driving at night the whole dashboard suddenly went black!...stuff like this is all too typical for this car! Not acceptable. This is my last Subaru.

I love this car!
By Subie on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

This car is so fun to drive. When I am with my friends I will always offer to drive just because I love driving it so much. I went to Costa Rica last month and when I was flying home I couldn't wait to get back and drive my Legacy. It's so easy to maintain. Very well designed and reliable. I will buy another one when it's time...

Great Car
By Keith Byrd on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Great car, I have nothing to complain about, I have put over 100,000 miles on it and it still runs like a [violative content deleted] with NO problems what so ever

Lacking in Gas Mileage
By splendidsplinter on 07/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Great car, wish the gas mileage was better.

Great all-around fun to drive car
By rgt4810 on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I love the all-wheel drive all year round. It really works on wet rainy roads along with snow and ice. Car has good power and handles excellently. The Build quality and interior quality are on par with other Japanese cars. Had the alternator replaced on a recall. I had the same problem of the lights going out on the heater control panel. I bought 3 new bulbs (I didn't need all 3 but thought I would change them all while I had it apart) and replaced them in about an hour. I reccomend the 2.5 liter motor because it has a better maintenance schedule (spark plugs at 60,000 vs. 30,000 and timing belt at 115,000 vs. 60,000).