Used 1997 Subaru Legacy GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1997 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

This takes the silver
By not impressed

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

After owning 21 cars now. This takes 2nd in worst cars I've owned. At 60k oil leaks. At 90k new head gaskets, water pump, thermostat, timing belt, and recored radiator. Shortly after all new brakes. Followed by 4 new struts at 95k. Oh wait more...O2 sensor, MAF sensor, and transmission failing at 105k (still have yet to fix). Car stalls for no reason etc. From July of '04 to March of '05 I spent a little over $3,000 in repairs. And plenty more to come. I am really turned upside down on this car. I plan on eating it and trading it in for a Mustang. Whatever you do. Stay away from Subaru. They didn't have it back in 1978, and they still didn't in 1997. Ford, Toyota, or Honda for me

Favorite Features

Maybe the weak AWD system?? Which guzzles the gas. I am lucky to get 20mpg on a 4 cylinder. Or maybe it's the outragous price..I should have the status of a BMW owner with how over proud Subaru is. Seriously though, my favorite feature - at least the frameless windows don't leak!!!

Suggested Improvements

Who on earth puts cupholders in front of the vents??? Hello Subaru...can't we figure out a little coolant plumbing? Apparently headgaskets are now considered normal maintence? Since when? And sheesh, how about a little engine room. Dropped the engine to get gaskets replaced. I mean seriously, c'mon.

Great all around, especially in the snow
By j_uken

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought with 100,000 miles. Now at 145,000. Normal maintenance required, nothing out of ordinary. A blast in the snow and wet pavement. Don't think I'll ever go back to 2wd, AWD is great and feels much safer in poor conditions. Nice leather interior.

Favorite Features

AWD, nice looks/rims, still stylish and gets looks. Nice ride, nice large back seats (don't have to adjust front seats even with tall passengers).

Suggested Improvements

Slide out folding cup holder above radio not a great place... but nice that it is hidden when not used. Leather needs heated seats - at least in the cold midwest.

solid all-around car
By caseo6

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car with 150000 miles on it. I was a bit leary of it at first, but I've come to like it. It was only $3600, right in my price range as it is a car for my son. The leather is in remarkable condition,as are the interior accents,power equipment, for a car with that many miles. The engine is still strong,though it hesitates slightly on take off with the auto tranny(a recall should correct this). All the paint is fine as well. It only has one problem that will cost money, the headlights have hazed over. The dealership said toothpaste will remove it.I see this car making well over 200k miles with no trouble.

Favorite Features

ample power,awesome handling,power sunroof,tough leather seats,aggessive styling,snow prowess.

Suggested Improvements

cup holder placement, better sealed headlights,turbo(new ones have the same engine with 250hp from turbo).

Very Solid Car
By Brad F.

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car over e-bay at 85k and I now have 104k on it. I've spent $2500 since then for all the normal stuff (brakes, tires, struts, timing belt, ect,). It lives outside and since I'm always in a hurry, I drive it hard. So far, it has taken all my abuse in stride. Since it has the 5- speed, it can be fun to drive. The ride is rough, but it handles well. The rear fenders have started to rust where the wheel well meets the rear bumper. This may be due to poor care on the 1st owners part. No other rust.

Favorite Features

AWD is great. As long as you have good tires and you don't bottom the car out, you can make it through any snow storm. Lots of leg room for back seat passanges. Good trunk space. Sporty look for a 4-door. Nice wide tires. Does not use oil.

Suggested Improvements

Better milage. Less noise. Softer ride. Bigger cup holder!

Common Problems
By EOW

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Reading other reviews proves I am not only one. At 16000 miles had to have engine replaced due to bad cylinder. Also the auto antenna sticks constantly. It is erratic, can't make up mind whether up/down. Also the ride is like a truck, very noisy. Mechanic at dealership says it is the tires which are original wide tires. It is VERY good in snow. Design of the cup holder is extremely poor which has been changed in the latest ones.

Favorite Features

The interior is nice with the leather seats and steering wheel. It is stable in rain/snow/ice. The AWD is a PLUS for handling. It compares in looks with the expensive European sedans. Space good for 4 adults, tight for 5. Children space is adequate.

Suggested Improvements

The engine is weak when loaded with passengers and luggage, needs the 6 cylinder. The radio antenna needs to be changed since it is a common problem with this vehicle.