Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Satisfied in Maine
By Joe from Maine

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Excellent in the snow. Solid feel. Corners well. Great traction. Comfortable drivers seats for long haul.

all wheel drive. handling. heated seats.

none. great car and we would certainly buy another.

Good Car So Far
By Subaru Driver....

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car six months ago and I have put 10,000 miles on it since then. The dealership that sold it to me had replaced most of the engine, but the only problem I have had with it is the water pump, which was incorrectly installed. It excels on the winter roads in slush, ice, and deep snow. It's good for showing my small dogs and going on long drives. So far, it has been a great car!

AWD,Gas tank hatch (on the driver side there is a lever you pull to open your gas tank so no one can steal your gas) Large Trunk Area, Back Seats fold flat, AC plug in in the back

Better and bigger cup holders in a different spot, more AC plugs

Watch those head gaskets
By joeysalazar1976

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

The Subaru brand, much like Saab come from airplane companies. The build quality and performance are amazing for the price. But repairs are expensive. The Subaru 2.5 is god awful for blowing head gaskets if you don't baby your car. But if you treat your car right, you will get to experience all wheel drive like no other car company can build for some reason. I have had a wrx and an outback, and both have been whips.

All wheel drive handling that is better than its weight. Everything on car is really really tight and solid. Like a German or Japanese car.

Fix the head gasket issue!!!

Awesome Car!!!
By Sherry

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car with 98,000 miles as of today I have 252,000. It still runs like a top. I drive over a 100 miles a day to work and I have never felt so safe. Never fails to start. I have only had to do the usual maintenance for it. I make sure it has an oil change ever 3000 and regular maintenance. But I love this car. I live where there are a lot of dirt roads and the roads are not always plowed when I leave for work. This car, with a set of snow tires will walk through anything. I have a driveway that goes down hill along ways, and snow gets pretty deep in my driveway. But this car walk up that driveway like it was summer. I just canít say enough about the car.

Heated seats, AWD, the Reliability!!!

Seats could be more comfortable, gas mileage could be a little better.

Expected it to last longer
By Dr. Pat

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This was my second Subaru. I bought it new and just like my predecessor GL, it did not last past 125K miles. This last week discovered the leaking head gaskets, catalytic below par and a leak in the fuel tank. I took precious care of this car but I live in NE and the road salt must have gotten to the fuel tank. However, isn't this what the car was made for? I had just put $2K into repairs over the last year for things like timing pulleys, brakes, etc. I don't know whether I should get another one. They just don't seem to be economical unless you are mechanically inclined.

Gas mileage (30mpg with manual trans.), heated seats and windows, engine block heater, cargo storage, split rear seats. I had actually preferred the four wheel drive to the AWD version.

The head gasket issue, poor interior design with the stupid cup holders blocking the stereo controls on the standard shift cars. Put back in the cold weather package option for us Northerners.