Used 1997 Subaru Legacy L Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Very reliable car
By MJessup

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car from my grandma when she was no longer able to drive. It has been a wonderful car. The only problem I have had with the breaks, the whole car seems to shimmy when I come to a stop from a high rate of speed, like coming off the interstate. My previous car was a SAAB, and going from driving that to my little Subaru feels like I am driving a tin foil car, and it seems so low to the ground. I don't feel very safe driving it. I have checked the safety ratings and it came out very high, so it's a personal issue. If I didn't get such a great deal on this car from my grandma I would have never bought it, but it has been a great car for me, and it always starts when I need it too.

Favorite Features

Large cargo area

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage

Reliable AWD Vehicle
By David F

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I've dreamed of owning an Outback ever since I was 13. The vehicle was everything I expected it to be. Great with every driving condition (dry, rain, ice, snow). Great interior room and ride. I'm seriously considering buying another newer model of the Outback.

Favorite Features

AWD. Good MPG (for an AWD). Ride quality. Reliability with good maintenance. Drive terrain capability. Speedy acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Interior design (especially climate controls, bulb burned out and can't see at night). Noticeable road noise. Head gasket problems at 100K. Engine fumes seep into interior. Gas gauge fails to give good reading (estimation w/ trip). Better brakes (wear too easily). Transmission jerky.

A fine car for the Northeast
By Rich

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Our '97 Legacy wagon has been a joy to own - reliable and fun to drive. The all-wheel drive gives confidence during the crappy Northeast winters. Plus the car is pretty roomy. Our only complaint has been with the gas mileage, 22-23 around town and 27 on the highway. But lots of cars have bad mileage.

Kudos
By Solution

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

The car has been excellent overall. It has been reliable, the finish and other exterior pieces have held up well in Hawaii's marine environment, and the handling, while not "sporty", is just fine. The car's only weak point is the drive train for the front wheels. There seems to be a design flaw there which has necessitated work on a couple of occasions.

Live saver
By Epacific

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

My '97 Subaru served me well right up till last week when, while taking a left on a green light, I got hit head on by a van going 55mph. Despite being flung across 3 lanes and having the car totaled, I was able to walk away with little more than a bruise on the knee. At 82000 miles, the car never had any maintenance issues: very reliable and useful with the rear of the wagon being used from everything from a diaper changing table to hauling cargo from Home Depot. Moreover, the designers at Subaru did an excellent job in safety: between the forward crumple zones, rigid safety cage, and airbags, I can quite literally say that the Subaru saved my life. We'

Favorite Features

Comfortable seat, AWD, handling, cargo room, safety, safety, and safety!

Suggested Improvements

Standard side curtain airbags: but Subaru has already done that in the new '05s.