1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Bought it for $500 pt2
By grand_dan_97 on 10/04/11 20:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car in august used for $500. The clutch is slowly going, so i have to start it off slow, until i can find one for cheap. Good handling, great gas mileage for an AWD. Minor problems, rear hatch latch must be repaired, rear wiper motor is seized,gas guage dose not read(dummy light works),and 12v outlets dont work, rusty body, solid frame. bought it with 396,000 miles, and have 341000 miles on it now, having had replaced brake rotors and pads, and needing a ball joint replaced, reliable, solid car. Good off road, great traction.

Bought it for $500
By grand_dan_97 on 08/16/11 16:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I just bought this car in early august with 339,500 miles on it, now its got over 400k and i have little complaints. The hatch wont open...idk; the gas gauge does not work, however the gas dumby light does; The seat heaters, 12v outlets, heated power mirrors, all work, but by some manufcturers ****, they all are on the one 20 amp fuse, which means they all work but dont try and use the 12v...once again im confused of how to fix it. But everything else works, minus a fog light which had a rock put through at 60mph a couple weeks ago. Great on gas almost 400mile on one tank. Satisfying perfomance and handling. Stereo is weak, and finding a wiring converting kit for it is impossible.

Best Of The Best
By Sharon on 08/06/10 08:49 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this vehicle used with 200,000 miles. It now has almost 230,000. Was told the transmission was going out. Was able to drive it for 6 months before having to replace. Put in a used transmission and have no problems since. I’ve owned Chevy’s, dodges, fords, and toyotas. This is one the most reliable vehicles I’ve had so far.

Satisfied in Maine
By Joe from Maine on 06/27/10 12:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Excellent in the snow. Solid feel. Corners well. Great traction. Comfortable drivers seats for long haul.

Good Car So Far
By Subaru Driver.... on 01/11/10 12:46 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car six months ago and I have put 10,000 miles on it since then. The dealership that sold it to me had replaced most of the engine, but the only problem I have had with it is the water pump, which was incorrectly installed. It excels on the winter roads in slush, ice, and deep snow. It's good for showing my small dogs and going on long drives. So far, it has been a great car!

Watch those head gaskets
By joeysalazar1976 on 08/19/09 19:59 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

The Subaru brand, much like Saab come from airplane companies. The build quality and performance are amazing for the price. But repairs are expensive. The Subaru 2.5 is god awful for blowing head gaskets if you don't baby your car. But if you treat your car right, you will get to experience all wheel drive like no other car company can build for some reason. I have had a wrx and an outback, and both have been whips.

Solid car but expensive to maintain
By Dave Marshall on 07/10/09 12:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought at 68K in 2004, we've driven this car everywhere many times over and are now at 199K. Engine still good, never got stuck thanks to AWD, and not a single breakdown. Car has been an unusually expensive one specifically in axle and brake repairs (both rotors and pads). Cat converter began failing long ago but only intermittently. Knock sensor also keeps setting off engine light. Luckily we never had the problems reported for some subies in the head gasket (we have the 2.2L) Original tranny is now close to death (slow to shift, clunks, drivetrain whines). May have pushed it over the edge last year with temporarily mismatched tires. ALWAYS match all 4 tires.

Very reliable car
By MJessup on 04/14/09 08:35 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car from my grandma when she was no longer able to drive. It has been a wonderful car. The only problem I have had with the breaks, the whole car seems to shimmy when I come to a stop from a high rate of speed, like coming off the interstate. My previous car was a SAAB, and going from driving that to my little Subaru feels like I am driving a tin foil car, and it seems so low to the ground. I don't feel very safe driving it. I have checked the safety ratings and it came out very high, so it's a personal issue. If I didn't get such a great deal on this car from my grandma I would have never bought it, but it has been a great car for me, and it always starts when I need it too.

Awesome Car!!!
By Sherry on 04/03/09 09:33 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car with 98,000 miles as of today I have 252,000. It still runs like a top. I drive over a 100 miles a day to work and I have never felt so safe. Never fails to start. I have only had to do the usual maintenance for it. I make sure it has an oil change ever 3000 and regular maintenance. But I love this car. I live where there are a lot of dirt roads and the roads are not always plowed when I leave for work. This car, with a set of snow tires will walk through anything. I have a driveway that goes down hill along ways, and snow gets pretty deep in my driveway. But this car walk up that driveway like it was summer. I just can’t say enough about the car.

Expected it to last longer
By Dr. Pat on 12/07/08 15:59 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This was my second Subaru. I bought it new and just like my predecessor GL, it did not last past 125K miles. This last week discovered the leaking head gaskets, catalytic below par and a leak in the fuel tank. I took precious care of this car but I live in NE and the road salt must have gotten to the fuel tank. However, isn't this what the car was made for? I had just put $2K into repairs over the last year for things like timing pulleys, brakes, etc. I don't know whether I should get another one. They just don't seem to be economical unless you are mechanically inclined.