1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
My Subaru
By emrose88 on 02/24/13 09:27 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car at 170,000m now still running strong at 205,000m with routine maintenance. We did replace 02 sensors around 200,000m as well as brakes, rotors, cv shaft. Other than oil changes, tires and other typical replacements this car has been a dream!

Like a pet
By Froggy on 07/27/08 15:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

We loved this car so much that we gave it a name (soobie). Until we bought our new 2004 Legacy, it was the best car we ever owned. It was economical (5 speed), reliable (few repairs in over 130,000 miles) and safe (I got rear-ended at a stop light. The car that hit me had to be flat bedded. I drove to work.) I eventually sold this car to a friend, reluctantly, and when we heard that it was eventually totaled in an accident, we almost cried.

1997 Legacy L AWD
By bryan medlel on 07/23/06 10:59 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

I love this car. Bought it with 223,000 miles on it. Redid the cam seals, timing belt, fuel pump, fuel filters and put a new head on it. It now preforms as a new car only at the $3000 I paid for it and with the $1500 I spent to re work it. I feel as though I have a $10-15000 car and I expect to get 400,000 miles with it easy, with regular oil changes and belts. I rate it a 9.25 now. For $4500 find anything better. Let me know, I will take 10 of them. Hope this helps. Only fault as of now - check engine light is on due to fuel heat sensor unit is bad. Being able to do the work myself it does not bother me. I would drive to Alaska.

Not a bad starter car but beware....
By JRealtor on 04/05/05 22:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

I have owned this car for two years and will FINALLY be replacing it with another vehicle. This isn't an awful car and is really quite durable. I had a minor accident with it that destroyed the radiator, hood and some other parts but it still started even with the car smashed to bits. I repaired it and it still runs very well today. The electric system in this car is absolutely awful and I've seen the a/c heat backlight come on maybe twice the whole time I've owned it. The engine is super reliable and I've never had any problems starting it. The body is still in great shape for a 1997 but the interior is awfully cheap. Excellent starter car but not without its issues. A good budget buy.

OK, till 130,000 miles
By LarryNH914 on 02/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

After 130,000 miles watch out, water pump, oil pump, engine seals etc... frequent engine repairs. I thought the 2.2 was tried and true. The engine just went totally kaput at 150,000 (siezed camshaft). If you think perhaps that maintenance is an issue, my Hyndai excel (at $5000) went 170,000 miles.

No Major Issues
By Roper1313 on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

Besides the fact that my Subaru has been a magnant for door dings I have no major gripes. My alternator had no problems, but was replaced by the recall. The heater and AC control lights are also mysteriously out.