1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Worth it
By A_Westwood on 05/02/08 13:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car after I rolled my rear wheel drive truck in the snow. I wanted something that would hold the road and it has not disappointed. The car shifts rough into second gear, but it does have 170,000 miles. I just replaced the front axle and when I first got it had to replace the NOC sensor. Something like that. If I don't sell it, I think it'll make it to 220,000 or so before anything major needs to be done to it.

The amazing legacy
By karguy on 02/08/08 12:36 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

The car is so immensely reliable and so capable, it's very difficult to get left stranded with this car under nearly any circumstances!

A car that keeps on giving
By nikki on 11/23/07 18:49 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I owned a 1997 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Edition until I recently got in an accident. This car had it all: leather interior, sunroof and a moonroof, front and rear spoiler, interior wood trim, tinted windows, keyless entry, fold down back seat to the trunk, fast, comfy, strong, easy to drive, safe, and definitely reliable. she was at 172,000 before I totalled her. I am sure she would have gone another 100,000 miles with no problems. If you are considering buying a Subaru, do it. I promise you will have no regrets and will be satisfied with your purchase.

I love my car
By bas on 08/05/05 16:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car 7.5 years ago and I absolutely love it. I've never gotten stuck in the snow and it starts every time. I've never had any problems with this car. I have been taking it to the dealer for maintenance and they have done a great job taking care of my car. I'm looking at buying a new Subaru because of my Legacy GT and the dealership.

1997 Legacy GT Loveland Co
By TCJ on 06/09/05 11:17 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought new in may 1997; have had all service and maintenance done by dealership where bought. Never have had one problem of any kind with car. This is the most reliable car we have ever owned as well as being sharp looking and fun to drive.

This takes the silver
By not impressed on 04/03/05 05:25 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

After owning 21 cars now. This takes 2nd in worst cars I've owned. At 60k oil leaks. At 90k new head gaskets, water pump, thermostat, timing belt, and recored radiator. Shortly after all new brakes. Followed by 4 new struts at 95k. Oh wait more...O2 sensor, MAF sensor, and transmission failing at 105k (still have yet to fix). Car stalls for no reason etc. From July of '04 to March of '05 I spent a little over $3,000 in repairs. And plenty more to come. I am really turned upside down on this car. I plan on eating it and trading it in for a Mustang. Whatever you do. Stay away from Subaru. They didn't have it back in 1978, and they still didn't in 1997. Ford, Toyota, or Honda for me

Great all around, especially in the snow
By j_uken on 03/21/05 12:39 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought with 100,000 miles. Now at 145,000. Normal maintenance required, nothing out of ordinary. A blast in the snow and wet pavement. Don't think I'll ever go back to 2wd, AWD is great and feels much safer in poor conditions. Nice leather interior.

solid all-around car
By caseo6 on 09/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car with 150000 miles on it. I was a bit leary of it at first, but I've come to like it. It was only $3600, right in my price range as it is a car for my son. The leather is in remarkable condition,as are the interior accents,power equipment, for a car with that many miles. The engine is still strong,though it hesitates slightly on take off with the auto tranny(a recall should correct this). All the paint is fine as well. It only has one problem that will cost money, the headlights have hazed over. The dealership said toothpaste will remove it.I see this car making well over 200k miles with no trouble.

Very Solid Car
By Brad F. on 08/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car over e-bay at 85k and I now have 104k on it. I've spent $2500 since then for all the normal stuff (brakes, tires, struts, timing belt, ect,). It lives outside and since I'm always in a hurry, I drive it hard. So far, it has taken all my abuse in stride. Since it has the 5- speed, it can be fun to drive. The ride is rough, but it handles well. The rear fenders have started to rust where the wheel well meets the rear bumper. This may be due to poor care on the 1st owners part. No other rust.

Common Problems
By EOW on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Reading other reviews proves I am not only one. At 16000 miles had to have engine replaced due to bad cylinder. Also the auto antenna sticks constantly. It is erratic, can't make up mind whether up/down. Also the ride is like a truck, very noisy. Mechanic at dealership says it is the tires which are original wide tires. It is VERY good in snow. Design of the cup holder is extremely poor which has been changed in the latest ones.