Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

My Subaru
By emrose88

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car at 170,000m now still running strong at 205,000m with routine maintenance. We did replace 02 sensors around 200,000m as well as brakes, rotors, cv shaft. Other than oil changes, tires and other typical replacements this car has been a dream!

Favorite Features

It goes like a beast in the snow, plow through almost anything. Easy to drive. It also has a feature if you push the break all the way in while having the clutch in it will hold the break for you as long as you have the clutch in- (not sure what that is called)

Suggested Improvements

It's not a very big car, we have two young kids so it would be nice it was a little bigger. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing!

What's breaking next?
By Jabberwocky

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan Outback 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought for $3,000, sold for $400. Transmission went out 1 week after purchase. Put another $1,200 in it trying to keep it running for my wife. Still drivable, just not on highway (it would not go above 40 mph). Head gasket blew after 3 months. Found out later that all wheel drive was never really working (no power going to the rear wheels). Power steering went out. Stereo stopped working. Hatch lock broke and would not close.

Favorite Features

Durable interior and exterior with good styling. Very easy to work on unless you are changing spark plugs.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru needs to stop making these modern day jalopies. From our experience the whole car is mechanically unreliable and unpredictable.

Like a pet
By Froggy

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

We loved this car so much that we gave it a name (soobie). Until we bought our new 2004 Legacy, it was the best car we ever owned. It was economical (5 speed), reliable (few repairs in over 130,000 miles) and safe (I got rear-ended at a stop light. The car that hit me had to be flat bedded. I drove to work.) I eventually sold this car to a friend, reluctantly, and when we heard that it was eventually totaled in an accident, we almost cried.

Favorite Features

Safety, reliability and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better stereo.

Worth it
By A_Westwood

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car after I rolled my rear wheel drive truck in the snow. I wanted something that would hold the road and it has not disappointed. The car shifts rough into second gear, but it does have 170,000 miles. I just replaced the front axle and when I first got it had to replace the NOC sensor. Something like that. If I don't sell it, I think it'll make it to 220,000 or so before anything major needs to be done to it.

Favorite Features

CD changer

Suggested Improvements

The cupholder blocks both the radio and the air conditioning controls.

The amazing legacy
By karguy

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

The car is so immensely reliable and so capable, it's very difficult to get left stranded with this car under nearly any circumstances!

Favorite Features

The amazing awd. I can drive in conditions most people hide from.

Suggested Improvements

More power. but that has already been dealt with.