1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
My Subaru
By emrose88 on 02/24/13 09:27 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car at 170,000m now still running strong at 205,000m with routine maintenance. We did replace 02 sensors around 200,000m as well as brakes, rotors, cv shaft. Other than oil changes, tires and other typical replacements this car has been a dream!

What's breaking next?
By Jabberwocky on 09/07/08 11:45 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan Outback 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought for $3,000, sold for $400. Transmission went out 1 week after purchase. Put another $1,200 in it trying to keep it running for my wife. Still drivable, just not on highway (it would not go above 40 mph). Head gasket blew after 3 months. Found out later that all wheel drive was never really working (no power going to the rear wheels). Power steering went out. Stereo stopped working. Hatch lock broke and would not close.

Like a pet
By Froggy on 07/27/08 15:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

We loved this car so much that we gave it a name (soobie). Until we bought our new 2004 Legacy, it was the best car we ever owned. It was economical (5 speed), reliable (few repairs in over 130,000 miles) and safe (I got rear-ended at a stop light. The car that hit me had to be flat bedded. I drove to work.) I eventually sold this car to a friend, reluctantly, and when we heard that it was eventually totaled in an accident, we almost cried.

Worth it
By A_Westwood on 05/02/08 13:43 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car after I rolled my rear wheel drive truck in the snow. I wanted something that would hold the road and it has not disappointed. The car shifts rough into second gear, but it does have 170,000 miles. I just replaced the front axle and when I first got it had to replace the NOC sensor. Something like that. If I don't sell it, I think it'll make it to 220,000 or so before anything major needs to be done to it.

The amazing legacy
By karguy on 02/08/08 12:36 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

The car is so immensely reliable and so capable, it's very difficult to get left stranded with this car under nearly any circumstances!

A car that keeps on giving
By nikki on 11/23/07 18:49 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I owned a 1997 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Edition until I recently got in an accident. This car had it all: leather interior, sunroof and a moonroof, front and rear spoiler, interior wood trim, tinted windows, keyless entry, fold down back seat to the trunk, fast, comfy, strong, easy to drive, safe, and definitely reliable. she was at 172,000 before I totalled her. I am sure she would have gone another 100,000 miles with no problems. If you are considering buying a Subaru, do it. I promise you will have no regrets and will be satisfied with your purchase.

1997 Legacy L AWD
By bryan medlel on 07/23/06 10:59 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

I love this car. Bought it with 223,000 miles on it. Redid the cam seals, timing belt, fuel pump, fuel filters and put a new head on it. It now preforms as a new car only at the $3000 I paid for it and with the $1500 I spent to re work it. I feel as though I have a $10-15000 car and I expect to get 400,000 miles with it easy, with regular oil changes and belts. I rate it a 9.25 now. For $4500 find anything better. Let me know, I will take 10 of them. Hope this helps. Only fault as of now - check engine light is on due to fuel heat sensor unit is bad. Being able to do the work myself it does not bother me. I would drive to Alaska.

I love my car
By bas on 08/05/05 16:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car 7.5 years ago and I absolutely love it. I've never gotten stuck in the snow and it starts every time. I've never had any problems with this car. I have been taking it to the dealer for maintenance and they have done a great job taking care of my car. I'm looking at buying a new Subaru because of my Legacy GT and the dealership.

1997 Legacy GT Loveland Co
By TCJ on 06/09/05 11:17 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought new in may 1997; have had all service and maintenance done by dealership where bought. Never have had one problem of any kind with car. This is the most reliable car we have ever owned as well as being sharp looking and fun to drive.

A Sad Tale
By Ex-Subaru Fan on 04/19/05 18:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Sedan Outback 4dr Sedan AWD

This was a great car for 7 years and about 65,000 miles, then the engine problems started: the engine seals leaking, the throttle sensor failing. Same thing the other reviewers experienced. The dealer estimates it needs close to $3,000 in repairs. I took it to an independent mechanic who agreed with the dealer's assessment, but would charge somewhat less to fix it. He said this should not happen to a car with such low mileage, but he said he has replaced Subaru engines because of the problem. Will I fix it? No! Trade it? Yes! BUT NOT ON ANOTHER SUBARU. Never again will I buy a Subaru, and that's a darn shame.