1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
What's breaking next?
By Jabberwocky on 09/07/08 11:45 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought for $3,000, sold for $400. Transmission went out 1 week after purchase. Put another $1,200 in it trying to keep it running for my wife. Still drivable, just not on highway (it would not go above 40 mph). Head gasket blew after 3 months. Found out later that all wheel drive was never really working (no power going to the rear wheels). Power steering went out. Stereo stopped working. Hatch lock broke and would not close.

A Sad Tale
By Ex-Subaru Fan on 04/19/05 18:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Sedan AWD

This was a great car for 7 years and about 65,000 miles, then the engine problems started: the engine seals leaking, the throttle sensor failing. Same thing the other reviewers experienced. The dealer estimates it needs close to $3,000 in repairs. I took it to an independent mechanic who agreed with the dealer's assessment, but would charge somewhat less to fix it. He said this should not happen to a car with such low mileage, but he said he has replaced Subaru engines because of the problem. Will I fix it? No! Trade it? Yes! BUT NOT ON ANOTHER SUBARU. Never again will I buy a Subaru, and that's a darn shame.

97 Outback Still going strong
By Len on 12/29/04 13:31 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Sedan AWD

Pretty good vehicle. Great in inclement weather. Stores alot of stuff in the back. Good handling, responsive. Tires and brakes last about 60k. Blew the engine at 35k, so the dealer installed a new one, and it has been great ever since, and it was covered 100%. Very few recalls (maybe 1).

Affordable reliability
By vermonster on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Sedan AWD

At 120,000 our Outback has had few problems. Only repair issues (beyond standard maintenance stuff like brakes, suspension components, etc) has been ac compressor. Also, keyless entry and one of the seat heaters have both stopped working. Burns zero oil, and has never let us down. Not super zippy, but gets you where you need to go. Also, this isn't a luxury car, so the ride isn't as smooth as it could be. But, what do you expect in this price range. I would categorize this as super-reliable. A good car at a great price.

Subaru could be much better
By monster B on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Sedan AWD

I have had this car for 4 yrs now, and I must say it is not what I thought it would be....I have spent over 3,000$ repairing it in the past year....head gasket(1500$)....wheel bearings, struts, the heater only works on full blast(had it fixed once already), the lights on the heater control and the seat heaters dont work, the powerlocks dont work, the enging howls at 40mph....and it leaks oild like a siv...I take good care of my cars, and this one has not been reliable at all....

Reliable +++
By Salmo on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Sedan AWD

I have 138,000 miles on my 1997 Outback. I just replaced the battery and have the original suspension system. Just periodic recommended maintenance has kept this an extremely reliable car. In the wintery Northeast it is a must. I was so impressed that my wife and I bought her the sedan.

Absolutely Perfect
By ljwoodw on 05/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Sedan AWD

Where to begin--it's an wonderful car without the monotony of its competitors. We were searching for a sedan-like car and the Subaru Outback was that and more. It's never spent any time in a repair garage, and can really do anything from stop-and-go city driving to very pleasant long trips. Lots of small touches make it special.