1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Satisfied in Maine
By Joe from Maine on 06/27/10 12:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Excellent in the snow. Solid feel. Corners well. Great traction. Comfortable drivers seats for long haul.

Good Car So Far
By Subaru Driver.... on 01/11/10 12:46 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car six months ago and I have put 10,000 miles on it since then. The dealership that sold it to me had replaced most of the engine, but the only problem I have had with it is the water pump, which was incorrectly installed. It excels on the winter roads in slush, ice, and deep snow. It's good for showing my small dogs and going on long drives. So far, it has been a great car!

Watch those head gaskets
By joeysalazar1976 on 08/19/09 19:59 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

The Subaru brand, much like Saab come from airplane companies. The build quality and performance are amazing for the price. But repairs are expensive. The Subaru 2.5 is god awful for blowing head gaskets if you don't baby your car. But if you treat your car right, you will get to experience all wheel drive like no other car company can build for some reason. I have had a wrx and an outback, and both have been whips.

Awesome Car!!!
By Sherry on 04/03/09 09:33 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car with 98,000 miles as of today I have 252,000. It still runs like a top. I drive over a 100 miles a day to work and I have never felt so safe. Never fails to start. I have only had to do the usual maintenance for it. I make sure it has an oil change ever 3000 and regular maintenance. But I love this car. I live where there are a lot of dirt roads and the roads are not always plowed when I leave for work. This car, with a set of snow tires will walk through anything. I have a driveway that goes down hill along ways, and snow gets pretty deep in my driveway. But this car walk up that driveway like it was summer. I just can’t say enough about the car.

Expected it to last longer
By Dr. Pat on 12/07/08 15:59 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This was my second Subaru. I bought it new and just like my predecessor GL, it did not last past 125K miles. This last week discovered the leaking head gaskets, catalytic below par and a leak in the fuel tank. I took precious care of this car but I live in NE and the road salt must have gotten to the fuel tank. However, isn't this what the car was made for? I had just put $2K into repairs over the last year for things like timing pulleys, brakes, etc. I don't know whether I should get another one. They just don't seem to be economical unless you are mechanically inclined.

Running Great for 12 years
By Marshall on 10/21/08 14:12 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my 2nd Subaru and handles the Washington winters-I've pulled many larger cars and 4X4's up our hill with this car. The 5 sp manual is fun, gets better acceleration/mileage than an automatic. It has been very reliable, though it has a slow oil leak and have had to replace the struts. It goes very well off road, hauls a trailer easily, and has a very versatile interior for hauling people or cargo. The exterior paint has been very durable. It could use higher headrests, exterior mirror pivots, better drink holders in a better position, and better sound insulation. Three kids have learned to drive on this car and I plan to keep it until "Sabastian" is abducted to college.

Love My Subee
By ChrisD on 06/02/06 23:35 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I loved my Subaru. After 200,200 miles I am putting it down. It was an incredibly reliable car. I bought it with 145,000 and added 55,000 more. At 195,000 the head gasket blew. I repaired it and many other things. Then last week the tranny blew and I decided to get a new car. MPG could have been better. All she required was basic maintenance (other than the 2 big issues). I'll get another. Excellent durable vehicle if you maintain it. Perfect for the outdoorsy person. It went to hundreds of bike races happily! Tons of space.

Read the reviews, don't buy a boxer
By Outwayback on 12/29/05 16:55 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Car was OK for a few years, then lights in some of the dash went out, and on the heated seat switches (but only on high?). Brakes go often and cost $1000 for rotors and pads. Struts feel like they are bad but have not confirmed. Water pump, cam seals, head gaskets etc. have been replaced. Now, like MANY other reviewers, the head gaskets blew out and I am looking at $2,000 to fix them. The front end bushings are also shot - $400. What gives? This car is driven lightly for under 100K miles and is garaged!

It is no Toyota
By fistik on 10/12/05 23:42 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

It is not a bad car to drive. comfortable for a 4wd. Decent pickup with auto trans. OK gas mileage. I have owned it for only 4 months so I can't comment on reliability. My guess is not as good as Honda or Toyota. Shortcomings: for a $27,000 car skimpy parts and options (no light for ignition key, windows). Poor design (open a window switch and you'll see). Other parts are similarly designed. I would never buy it new. Definitely overpriced. Honda or Toyota should design a similar car.

Subaru Blues
By mbgphoto on 07/26/05 16:17 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car in 2001 with about 85k it. Spent $10k on what was at the time a perfect running car. Probably too much but this was the only 5 speed I could find. Had a great time in 18 inches of snow where the car plowed through even with old Michelin XW4s on it. Then the problems started. First an alternator which was covered by recall, then the interior started to fall apart. (cargo cover tabs, cargo net hooks pulled out, panel that covers the spare cracked) Whistling sound under acceleration cannot be remedied by 3 dealers, 2 mechanics. Timing belt, clutch, tranny, CV, wheel bearing, 2 oxygen sensors, cat converter, brakes, 2 sets of 80k Michelins in 50k miles! Over $2,500!