Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Brighton Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Solid car but expensive to maintain
By Dave Marshall

1997 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought at 68K in 2004, we've driven this car everywhere many times over and are now at 199K. Engine still good, never got stuck thanks to AWD, and not a single breakdown. Car has been an unusually expensive one specifically in axle and brake repairs (both rotors and pads). Cat converter began failing long ago but only intermittently. Knock sensor also keeps setting off engine light. Luckily we never had the problems reported for some subies in the head gasket (we have the 2.2L) Original tranny is now close to death (slow to shift, clunks, drivetrain whines). May have pushed it over the edge last year with temporarily mismatched tires. ALWAYS match all 4 tires.

Favorite Features

AWD. Sensible interior styling and controls. Maroon model looks nice for a "boring" car. Reliable 30mpg on highway even at 199K.

Suggested Improvements

Brake system needs work -- warps rotors too quickly -- and I am gentle with my brakes and do not drive like a jackrabbit. Also the catalytic converter should not die at 100K -- none of those on my domestic cars ever did.

Great Reliable Car
By cbvt

1997 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is great in the snow and Vermont mud season (we live out on three miles of dirt road). My wife is more comfortable driveing this car than our 4wd drive pick-up truck. we bought the car with 70,000 miles on it and the car just seems to go for ever. we are now at 150,000 miles with only minor expected repaires. Definitely the most sturdy and reliable car I have ever owned. I get 28-32 miles per gallon with the manual trans.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, large area for hauling stuff, reliablity, fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Move the cup holders away from the heater controls, more options on wiper controls, nicer seats with more support

Solid car
By csandvig

1997 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car new and it now has 75,000 miles on it. It has required no repairs and requires minimal maintenance. All I've done is change the oil and bought a set of new tires and it still runs like new.

Favorite Features

Very functional car. Lots of cargo space, great on the highway, very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Vinyl on dashboard and doors is thin and easily damaged. Don't care for the plastic bumpers, get scratched too easily.

Almost bulletproof, but sube dealers suk
By bcnyc

1997 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

My 3rd Sube wagon. Subes are great in NYC, where weaker cars have very short lifespans (accidents, dings, theft, bad roads, etc). Alt dead @ 50K. OEM shocks died @ 35k. Clutch wore out @ 100k. Heater lights never worked. Timing belt & water pump replaced @ 70K. Nothing else replaced. Oil every 4k, plugs every 15k. Now @ 140k miles, expecting head gasket blowout any day. Will probably get a Forester. Dealers very bad for service, especially w/women - when wife brings car to shop, they always find long list of problems, all bogus. She just repeats "oil change only." Check Engine light a joke. All my Subes had it, yet they all passed emissions.

Favorite Features

4WD, simplicity, reliability. Perfect size/cost. Almost anyone can perform basic repairs and maintenance. Bottom line if you have a local repair guy you trust, these are great cars.

Suggested Improvements

Better service. Better head gasket reliability. Stronger air conditioner. What's up with the hardware? All 5+ yr old Subes have at least one door lock or electric window that doesn't work.