1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
97SubLegWagon
By mjames on 03/20/06 14:57 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

Runs very well in all conditions. May need to use premium fuel to gain speed quickly. This vehicle hauls a great amount of items, and a fair amount of weight with no problems. Though it has a low wheel base, it still manages to ride well over heavy snow.

Overall OK but room for improvement
By JTB on 10/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

Early troubles particularly with the windshield having some kind of film on it.Alternator went at 37000 miles and was stranded. Had it replaced in New Hampshire in middle of winter. Car eventually had recall with alt.nator replaced again during regular service. Dealers not so helpful.Had front right wheel problem at 60000. It took two dealerships to fix some kind of bearing problem. Was told by dealer it was good to have replaced otherwise wheel could FALL OFF. Oil seals went at 65000. Overall I love the car.Unstoppable in winter's worst. Who needs a shovel. Has lots of dings but who cares about looks with a Subie!

funky wagon; I love it!
By dkay on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

Flawless reliability. Except for the battery dying once, the car has given me no problems, despite being involved in one major crash in its first year. Interesting styling too, with the opening in the hood and aggressive- looking wheels. Definately not going to be mistaken for an old Buick wagon. In 1997 there was no other wagon with a manual shift that looked this good for a reasonable price. The manual shift is very pleasant, making this car fun to drive despite the not-earth- shattering power.

I paid too much...
By sugarpopp on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my GT wagon. It is spunky and fun to drive. I traded in my Mazda MPV and felt like I had a hot sports car for a while... I kept forgetting I was driving a station wagon. My son kept saying, "Your car is fast, do you know how fast your car is, mom?" Yes, I do.