Used 1997 Subaru Legacy GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

97SubLegWagon
By mjames

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

Runs very well in all conditions. May need to use premium fuel to gain speed quickly. This vehicle hauls a great amount of items, and a fair amount of weight with no problems. Though it has a low wheel base, it still manages to ride well over heavy snow.

Overall OK but room for improvement
By JTB

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

Early troubles particularly with the windshield having some kind of film on it.Alternator went at 37000 miles and was stranded. Had it replaced in New Hampshire in middle of winter. Car eventually had recall with alt.nator replaced again during regular service. Dealers not so helpful.Had front right wheel problem at 60000. It took two dealerships to fix some kind of bearing problem. Was told by dealer it was good to have replaced otherwise wheel could FALL OFF. Oil seals went at 65000. Overall I love the car.Unstoppable in winter's worst. Who needs a shovel. Has lots of dings but who cares about looks with a Subie!

Favorite Features

Engine reliable, spacious interior.Durable materials well screwed together. Nobody will steal it either.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine oil seals. Leaked badly at 65000. Expensive to repair. Better dealer needed.

funky wagon; I love it!
By dkay

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

Flawless reliability. Except for the battery dying once, the car has given me no problems, despite being involved in one major crash in its first year. Interesting styling too, with the opening in the hood and aggressive- looking wheels. Definately not going to be mistaken for an old Buick wagon. In 1997 there was no other wagon with a manual shift that looked this good for a reasonable price. The manual shift is very pleasant, making this car fun to drive despite the not-earth- shattering power.

Favorite Features

Styling. Cargo space is excellant. The clutch and shifter work well. Clutch is especially nice, as it doesn't have the long travel that some cars have. Engine makes a nice, low- pitched rumble that makes the car feel higher powered than it is.

Suggested Improvements

The seats could use more lumbar support. Speaking of lumbar support, the adjuster knob for mine popped off, which would have been annoying if there was any noticable difference between the various settings. Needs more power. Fuel economy lacking...I get 19 city, 24 hwy.

I paid too much...
By sugarpopp

1997 Subaru Legacy GT 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my GT wagon. It is spunky and fun to drive. I traded in my Mazda MPV and felt like I had a hot sports car for a while... I kept forgetting I was driving a station wagon. My son kept saying, "Your car is fast, do you know how fast your car is, mom?" Yes, I do.

Favorite Features

Quick acceleration, all the goodies, sunroof, good freeway mileage. Roomy, lots of cargo space, leg room. Adjustable seat is great for short mom and tall son.

Suggested Improvements

Could you put some drink holders in the back seat area?