1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Solid car but expensive to maintain
By Dave Marshall on 07/10/09 12:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought at 68K in 2004, we've driven this car everywhere many times over and are now at 199K. Engine still good, never got stuck thanks to AWD, and not a single breakdown. Car has been an unusually expensive one specifically in axle and brake repairs (both rotors and pads). Cat converter began failing long ago but only intermittently. Knock sensor also keeps setting off engine light. Luckily we never had the problems reported for some subies in the head gasket (we have the 2.2L) Original tranny is now close to death (slow to shift, clunks, drivetrain whines). May have pushed it over the edge last year with temporarily mismatched tires. ALWAYS match all 4 tires.

Great Reliable Car
By cbvt on 04/10/08 07:56 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is great in the snow and Vermont mud season (we live out on three miles of dirt road). My wife is more comfortable driveing this car than our 4wd drive pick-up truck. we bought the car with 70,000 miles on it and the car just seems to go for ever. we are now at 150,000 miles with only minor expected repaires. Definitely the most sturdy and reliable car I have ever owned. I get 28-32 miles per gallon with the manual trans.

Solid car
By csandvig on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car new and it now has 75,000 miles on it. It has required no repairs and requires minimal maintenance. All I've done is change the oil and bought a set of new tires and it still runs like new.

Almost bulletproof, but sube dealers suk
By bcnyc on 05/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

My 3rd Sube wagon. Subes are great in NYC, where weaker cars have very short lifespans (accidents, dings, theft, bad roads, etc). Alt dead @ 50K. OEM shocks died @ 35k. Clutch wore out @ 100k. Heater lights never worked. Timing belt & water pump replaced @ 70K. Nothing else replaced. Oil every 4k, plugs every 15k. Now @ 140k miles, expecting head gasket blowout any day. Will probably get a Forester. Dealers very bad for service, especially w/women - when wife brings car to shop, they always find long list of problems, all bogus. She just repeats "oil change only." Check Engine light a joke. All my Subes had it, yet they all passed emissions.