1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Very reliable car
By MJessup on 04/14/09 08:35 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car from my grandma when she was no longer able to drive. It has been a wonderful car. The only problem I have had with the breaks, the whole car seems to shimmy when I come to a stop from a high rate of speed, like coming off the interstate. My previous car was a SAAB, and going from driving that to my little Subaru feels like I am driving a tin foil car, and it seems so low to the ground. I don't feel very safe driving it. I have checked the safety ratings and it came out very high, so it's a personal issue. If I didn't get such a great deal on this car from my grandma I would have never bought it, but it has been a great car for me, and it always starts when I need it too.

Reliable AWD Vehicle
By David F on 01/17/07 06:40 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

I've dreamed of owning an Outback ever since I was 13. The vehicle was everything I expected it to be. Great with every driving condition (dry, rain, ice, snow). Great interior room and ride. I'm seriously considering buying another newer model of the Outback.

A fine car for the Northeast
By Rich on 01/10/06 21:05 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

Our '97 Legacy wagon has been a joy to own - reliable and fun to drive. The all-wheel drive gives confidence during the crappy Northeast winters. Plus the car is pretty roomy. Our only complaint has been with the gas mileage, 22-23 around town and 27 on the highway. But lots of cars have bad mileage.

Kudos
By Solution on 01/01/06 02:17 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

The car has been excellent overall. It has been reliable, the finish and other exterior pieces have held up well in Hawaii's marine environment, and the handling, while not "sporty", is just fine. The car's only weak point is the drive train for the front wheels. There seems to be a design flaw there which has necessitated work on a couple of occasions.

Live saver
By Epacific on 08/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

My '97 Subaru served me well right up till last week when, while taking a left on a green light, I got hit head on by a van going 55mph. Despite being flung across 3 lanes and having the car totaled, I was able to walk away with little more than a bruise on the knee. At 82000 miles, the car never had any maintenance issues: very reliable and useful with the rear of the wagon being used from everything from a diaper changing table to hauling cargo from Home Depot. Moreover, the designers at Subaru did an excellent job in safety: between the forward crumple zones, rigid safety cage, and airbags, I can quite literally say that the Subaru saved my life. We'

good car, but...
By tconte on 06/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

Generally, I have been happy with the outback, though the last 20,000 miles I have had an ongoing problem with the electrical system. It's a great car to have if you live above the snow line, but not much use for awd otherwise.

Beware the 2.5L 4 cylinder engine!!!
By Eric Banks on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

At first, I loved this car - until it needed maintenance. The repair/maintenance costs for this vehicle are excessive compared to the two Nissans I also own. Also, I have found out what apparently others have also - that the engine is unreliable. I have 97,000 miles on mine, and the dealer says that the 3rd cylinder is shot (less than 1/3 normal compression present), requiring not just replacement of head/rings, but the entire engine at a cost of $5,000!! Absolutely unacceptable for a car that costs what a Subaru does. For sure my last Subaru - back to Nissans/Hondas (they run forever!)

Subarus are Great Cars
By Rhody on 05/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

This is the third Subaru wagon I've owned and I've had no trouble with any of them. I find the ride very comfortable and the car reliable. I find the new Legacy a bit pricy.