Used 1997 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Horrible!!!
By Benjamin Solensky

1997 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

You would think after decades of making cars Subaru would figure some things out! I had my car for a little over a year seemed to be in good condition, I drove it safe, and babied it and the head gasket goes on it! This is a problem with Subaru's and my car only had 80,000 miles on it!! Unbelievable. Anyway buyer beware, if the head gasket goes on it, its gona be an expensive fix and wow just wow. Anyway I guess there is not just one great car out there.. well if there is I haven't found it yet.. STEER CLEAR of this one though.

The Adventure Wagon
By Andrew

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Understand this isn't a Mercedes, although this car doesn't offer much in respect to the interior the reliability is outstanding for a four cylinder car. When I purchased my 2.5L wagon it had 190,000 miles on it. It now has 280,000 miles on it and is running no different then when I bought it. From the coast of California to the coast of north Carolina, this car has only needed an oil change here and there! Weather you be a first time car buyer or someone who wants a reliable car to keep miles off there nice car, you can not go wrong with this car. I will say the acceleration is terrible, I know some people have complaints about the head gasket blowing but I have the feeling its because they tried to drive the car to hard. But as long as you keep the timing belt changed and drive sensibly this car will take great care of you. Other notes: I have a 130lb dog she fits fine in there, the seats lay down giving me plenty of storage room; in fact because I travel so much I usually get a memory foam mattress topper and it makes a perfect bed for me and her (im 6'1). This car also eats oil so just be sure you check the oil every 3000 miles or so. Another thing I noticed when I was in the desert it was sitting stationary for about 5 minutes and started to over heat... I turned it off to let it cool and it was all good. Far as the steering goes its defiantly a longer car; ever since ive owned the car if I make a sharp turn at low speeds it shakes and vibrates a lot... im not sure why but its never hurt anything. The seats padding somewhat wears out on the outside and you can feel the wire frame after a while of getting in and out of the car (im not over weight at all im in great shape... its not because im fat) but the fabric is good material and wont rip easily. also the car has a feature where it notifies you if a specific door is open... they tend to fail over time and it may be telling you a door is open when its not.. that's kind of annoying. The tailgate light also miss reads if the rear door is open or not over time, again nothing major but it can by irritating. Far as clean up goes I have a long hair dog and the carpet doesn't trap hair, its actually really easy to clean up. Also if you change elevation quickly such as going through the rocky mnts the oxygen sensor will go off causing the check engine light to come on, just have it cleared after you get back to a more steady elevation. Remember to keep the tire pressure even! this is what caused the rear end to wine when I bought the vehicle; I guess the previous owner neglected to keep the tire pressure in check which resulted in a wine in the rear end. Something else Im not fond of is the cup holders... there to small.

My Subaru
By emrose88

1997 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car at 170,000m now still running strong at 205,000m with routine maintenance. We did replace 02 sensors around 200,000m as well as brakes, rotors, cv shaft. Other than oil changes, tires and other typical replacements this car has been a dream!

It goes like a beast in the snow, plow through almost anything. Easy to drive. It also has a feature if you push the break all the way in while having the clutch in it will hold the break for you as long as you have the clutch in- (not sure what that is called)

It's not a very big car, we have two young kids so it would be nice it was a little bigger. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing!

Bought it for $500 pt2
By grand_dan_97

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car in august used for $500. The clutch is slowly going, so i have to start it off slow, until i can find one for cheap. Good handling, great gas mileage for an AWD. Minor problems, rear hatch latch must be repaired, rear wiper motor is seized,gas guage dose not read(dummy light works),and 12v outlets dont work, rusty body, solid frame. bought it with 396,000 miles, and have 341000 miles on it now, having had replaced brake rotors and pads, and needing a ball joint replaced, reliable, solid car. Good off road, great traction.

Heated seats, heated power mirrors, AWD, power windows, fog lights, and roof rack.

headlight setup, gas guage reads empty all the time, and 12v outlet.

Bought it for $500
By grand_dan_97

1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited 4dr Wagon AWD

I just bought this car in early august with 339,500 miles on it, now its got over 400k and i have little complaints. The hatch wont open...idk; the gas gauge does not work, however the gas dumby light does; The seat heaters, 12v outlets, heated power mirrors, all work, but by some manufcturers ****, they all are on the one 20 amp fuse, which means they all work but dont try and use the 12v...once again im confused of how to fix it. But everything else works, minus a fog light which had a rock put through at 60mph a couple weeks ago. Great on gas almost 400mile on one tank. Satisfying perfomance and handling. Stereo is weak, and finding a wiring converting kit for it is impossible.

Heated seats, heated mirrors, AWD, cruise, fog lights, extremely hot heating system for the cold winters.

Improve sturdiness and position of cupholders. Stereo quality. Brightness of dash cluster backlights.

• SUV