1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - No Toyota or Honda

1996 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Review

Outback Wagon (2.2L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

No Toyota or Honda
By T. Rush on

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Subaru has had alternator replaced, light bulbs in dash burned out and extremely expensive to replace. No thought given by Subaru to maintainability. Paint job thin and not durable. Second set of tires, still losing air pressure (since day one, up to 3 lbs per week per tire).I assume issues are with the factory rims. Oil leaks here and there requiring seal/gasket replacement. Not up to par with Toyota or Honda in my 30 years of car ownership experience. Still driving my 89 Camry All-Trac with 186K miles and aside from routine maintenence, have spent less in repairs than I have on the 96 Outback.

Favorite Features

Great AWD, handles well, love the heated seats and mirrors, and factory roof rack. Perfect size for hauling boating gear, dog, fishing gear. Looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru has to start building a better quality car. Needs to Design for Assembly and Design for Maintainability. If Honda comes out with an Accord AWD wagon, or Toyota comes out with an AWD Camry or Corolla wagon, many of us will defect instantaneously.