1996 Subaru Legacy Consumer Review: Super 'Ru

1996 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Review

Super 'Ru
By Lil Joe Rice on

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

There are few words to accurately describe how much I love my 'Ru. It's absolutely amazing! I ford rivers/creeks in it, I've driven through 2 feet of snow in it, climbed rocks in it. Plus, I put about 60 miles on it a day going to and from work. All in all, it's the best all around car I've owned in my driving career and it has effectively sold me on the brand. I own my dream car. It will never win a drag race, it will never place high in a mud bog, but it gets me to work everyday, regardless of weather, temperature, terrain or obstacles. I've even been known to drive over a parking lot barrier or two just to prove the car's mettle. How do I feel about my 'Ru? In a word or two: It's amazing.

The AWD is indispensable. Also, the trunk space is extremely useful. I also love that I don't need ramps to change the oil. The filter is easily accessible from a lying position and it's that way on EVERY 'Ru I've seen, not just mine.

I believe my gas gauge is defective, but I still get decent mileage according to it. Also, the heat shield underneath rattles quite a bit, but with my off-road use, it's decidedly obvious as to why. I would also like to see better wheel well innards, as my engine is dirtier than sin itself.