DON'T BUY OVER 60K MILES!
By T Paul on
1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD
I bought this car with 65K and had to put a miminum of $1500/year to keep running! MINE HAS 100K NOW. Multiple failures and trust me, YOU CAN'T FIX THEM YOURSELF! You can't even change sparkplugs without a special tool. DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK! My short list of repairs: window switch $250, oil pump $1000, DASH LIGHTS $250, rear hatch stuck $150, starter $400, alternator $400, FINNALY transfer case seals $1500! I did all dealership visits thinking I would prevent breakdowns but I WAS WRONG! I'M SELLING. ANYONE WANT TO BUY?
Favorite Features
4 WHEEL DRIVE
Suggested Improvements
GUTLESS ENGINE, VERY UNRELIABLE, VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIX! DON'T BUY IT.
By phxmotor
on 10/04/12 00:24 AM (PDT)

WOW! This shop sure saw you coming. Every repair you mentioned is an ez fix and nowhere near the cost you paid. Too bad you used the same repair shop that "took" the previous owner "for a ride". Subarus certinly do not require a special tool to replace the sparkplugs, where the heck did the shop come up with that one? And every other repair you mentined are actually very simple... and cheap. Sorry you had a bad experience... but I'll bet you will have the same experience with whatever car you drive. Some drivers seem to attract shameful (and illegal) shop practices. I've always said that if you can sew, or cook, you can do most car repairs. My question for you is; "can you cook?". Just find an honest shop. I know it's hard to do, but most of us can (eventuallly) do so. And trust me, your shop is simply not trustworthy. $1,000 for an oil pump... wow! that one made me laugh... or was it the $250 to replace a couple dash lights. That's a good one! Don't berate the Subaru... just find an honest shop already.