1996 Subaru Legacy Consumer Review: My money pit

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Review

My money pit
By jasonc314 on

1996 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

bought my subaru with 96,000 miles. it got to 98000 and the valve guides pushed throught the heads(or something like that). Seeing these are boxer motors, both heads went, a week apart. Cost 1200 for a new motor with 40k miles. Dealer wanted 1800 to fix heads (475 a head + labor). Got that fixed, cv joints blew. Car is a money pit seeing i only put on 10000 miles! Mechanic said the seller didnt rig the motor, but it was a manufacturing problem by fuji heavy industries. I will never ever buy another subaru. They also suck in snow, i dont care what anyone says.

Nice riding car, not "so great" on gas, and it only has 2.2 litre due to the AWD

I suggest making replacement parts cheaper and allowing other companies to make certain parts. Car manufacturing comp. know exactly what parts will go at what time and make certain things dealer parts only which sucks for us, the consumer.