1996 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Profound Disappointment
By Budster on 02/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased this car new, largely on the strength of Subaru's reputation for safety and reliability. Mistake One: did not check cost of repair rating with insurer-- insurance cost STEEP. Mistake Two: did not buy this car from a standalone Subaru dealer. Multimark dealers do not maintain parts or knowledgable mechanics on site. (Found this to be true with several dealers.) This car is fine in poor conditions-- but so are many others. It was cheaply built of cheap materials. The absolute WORST paint job I've ever experienced. Alloy wheels corrode so badly that tires won't hold air! The ride is absurdly poor, and always has been. No more Subies for me!

Don't buy a Subaru
By vawest on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

A real disappointment! Transmission Problem just 6 months into ownership.It routinely rev's the RPM's > 4000 when on hills. We paid extra for the bigger engine (2.5L), yet the engine's performance is absymal No p/u whatsoever. The gas mileage is poor at best.And Lately the engine light is on continuously. Four times we have had the dealer look at it. They know that the trouble is the EGR Valve, yet haven't been able to fix it. Along the way, we have put out hundreds of dollars trying to get it repaired.Twice the car has stalled & wouldn't start up due to this issue. What a piece of junk! I will never, ever buy a Subaru again!

My Subaru
By DaveSubaruOwner on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

Has been a totally reliable car. 64,000 miles with no costs beyond maintenance. Daughter was t-boned by a Toyota Corolla, damage amounted to unopenable rear passenger door, bent wheel and broken strut. I am 6'5" and the car is not comfortable to me on trips of over three hours drive time.

Love this Car!
By rusbkee on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

Have thoroughly enjoyed owning this automobile. Fun to own and drive. Minor repair items along the way. Super reliable!

Dependable Car
By Zach and Maggie on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Have enjoyed driving this vehicle since day one. Handles wonderfully in all types of road conditions. Liked our 1996 so well that we purchased a second one in 2001. A pleasure to drive.

Wish it was a '97!
By Usergonemad on 11/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Good handling, reasonable power, wonderful bad-weather car with plenty of room and good comfort. But at 22K the trick 16-valve 2.5L quad-cam boxer engine (only made in '96) started pinging like an old GM diesel, even on 94.5 octane premium gas. Dealer no help. Now at 99K it has bad oil seals, a bad wheel bearing, needs a 3rd set of brakes, bad CV joint, engine sensors, more. Love the car, hate the reliability. Service expensive, parts expensive, fuel economy is poor for the power. Absolutely incredible deep snow capability makes up in part for the rickety nature. 100K trouble-free is not a lot to ask from a car nowadays!

Used car buyers... this is the one!
By Travis on 10/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Ok, so I've only had the car for about a month now. But even at 102,000 when I bought it, I feel like I am driving a new car! I have put about a thousand miles on it already and find the comfort level of the car to be very good. I am a recent college grad who didn't want the massive gas bills of an SUV, but still liked the idea of being able to move stuff around. I feel like I really am driving a luxury vehicle that I purchased for only $7500. For you recent college grads who's parents can't afford to give you a car graduation gift, try a used Subaru, it has the flexibility and luxury that I think you will really enjoy.

My wife loves it!
By randall on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

Great for dogs, kids, vacations in Lake Tahoe, the beach, wherever. Had a steep dilapidated asphalt driveway with tight turns... no problem.

A Wonderful Car
By roadroost on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

Our Subaru Legacy Sedan has nearly 110,000 miles on it, and the only negative thing that we have to say about it is that it doesn't feel peppy. Other than that, it has been an excellent car... reliable and comfortable.

Great Car
By DonSS3 on 07/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought my Subaru in 2000 with about 68,000 miles. It's got 168K on it now and still drives great. Had to replace timing belt at about 140K (even tho it should have been replaced earlier). The belt broke, but luckily no damage to the valvetrain. Alternator died at about 115K, replaced under Subaru recall program. Yes, I would buy another!