Used 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

DON'T BUY OVER 60K MILES!
By T Paul

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car with 65K and had to put a miminum of $1500/year to keep running! MINE HAS 100K NOW. Multiple failures and trust me, YOU CAN'T FIX THEM YOURSELF! You can't even change sparkplugs without a special tool. DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK! My short list of repairs: window switch $250, oil pump $1000, DASH LIGHTS $250, rear hatch stuck $150, starter $400, alternator $400, FINNALY transfer case seals $1500! I did all dealership visits thinking I would prevent breakdowns but I WAS WRONG! I'M SELLING. ANYONE WANT TO BUY?

4 WHEEL DRIVE

GUTLESS ENGINE, VERY UNRELIABLE, VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIX! DON'T BUY IT.

Very good car.
By enriquemm73

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Very reliable and safe car. Good stability, even in unfaborable weather conditions. Manteinance in not quite expensive and Subaru dealers are usually fast and reliable. Integrity is not greatly affected by weather but for a few pieces like the gas stay of the rear gate which may become rusty. Nice traction in snowy and/or icy roads.

AWD, ABS, Heated seats & mirrors.

Include VDC in more models. Higher clearance.

Great Vehicle
By thor831

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I'm very happy with this vehicle. The AWD is great. Goes right through snow.

AWD, Comfort, Reliable

Better MPG for a 4 cyl.

No Toyota or Honda
By T. Rush

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Subaru has had alternator replaced, light bulbs in dash burned out and extremely expensive to replace. No thought given by Subaru to maintainability. Paint job thin and not durable. Second set of tires, still losing air pressure (since day one, up to 3 lbs per week per tire).I assume issues are with the factory rims. Oil leaks here and there requiring seal/gasket replacement. Not up to par with Toyota or Honda in my 30 years of car ownership experience. Still driving my 89 Camry All-Trac with 186K miles and aside from routine maintenence, have spent less in repairs than I have on the 96 Outback.

Great AWD, handles well, love the heated seats and mirrors, and factory roof rack. Perfect size for hauling boating gear, dog, fishing gear. Looks great.

Subaru has to start building a better quality car. Needs to Design for Assembly and Design for Maintainability. If Honda comes out with an Accord AWD wagon, or Toyota comes out with an AWD Camry or Corolla wagon, many of us will defect instantaneously.

Legacy of Subaru
By Romeo Enciso

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Our Subaru is reliable & sturdy. Excellent car in cold wether or heat. Very durable and stable, excellent road handling & pick up. Ours has heated mirrors & seats. Fold down seats & rear cover. We like the interior layout. Seating seems stiff after long drives.

Rear seats 1/3 o\portion fold down or whole seat. Heated mirrors & seats. All electric, great stereo system, all wheel driver, great excelleration & road handling.

We think front seats need to be improved. They seem hard after long drives. A softer type material may help.