1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Read me....
By danklug on 03/25/05 12:31 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has 297,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable and still gets close to 26 mpg. This is not a car to buy if you are a do it yourself person. The spark plugs are impossible to change without dislocating your wrist. The replacement parts are high. It eats brakes. Heater lamps burn out constantly. The 2.5 engine leaves a lot to be desired. Overall a good car and a great value for the $4K range.

After 275k miles, still a great car!
By Jim on 03/06/05 04:38 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

My Legacy Brighton was purchased new in 1996 and has remained in my family since then. It has been subjected to hard driving and New England winters and still looks and runs great! After 275,000 miles, I have had minimal repairs except for the transmission, which has been rebuilt each 125k miles (approx.). Can't beat the all-wheel drive for the snow and body integrity is excellent - just one spot of rust after 8 years. I will definitely buy one again! Too bad they've become pricey in recent years - I guess the secret is out.

Poor Suby! It got totaled.
By Gregsly on 02/18/05 15:36 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car as a lease return. During warranty coverage an engine seal went out (about $700). Had one alternator, and a sensor go out. The car has 3 oil leaks which would cost $2,000 to fix, but use only 1 qt/3000 miles, so I opted not to fix them at my mechanic's suggestion. He said that these leaks are endemic in this car and will just return if fixed. Dash lights have failed bit by bit. That said, I loved this car. Great to drive in snow/ice, reasonable power, reasonable economy. It was totaled a couple weeks ago so I'm in the market for another one.

Buy a Toyota
By seattle on 02/10/05 15:22 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon

I agree with the other reviewers who tell you not to buy this car with more than 60,000 miles. I've had numerous, expensive repairs done which I NEVER had to do on Toyotas I've owned. I LOVE the looks, size and idea of the legacy, but I'm really going to have to think twice before I buy another Subaru.

Warning Against This Vehicle
By Alicia HB on 01/03/05 23:06 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Engine problems. I have experience to prove it. Had it for 1.5 years and sunk over $3k into it. The previous owners, I later learned, put $6k into it in 4 months (ended up having the same mechanic...)Fun car, handles well and carries a lot, but ends up costing too much. Had it in the shop for regular $200 to $600 repairs. Always losing air in tires. Poor rims. Firestone tried to sand rims down since they were so poor so that I would not lose air continually.C urrently shopping for Toyota. Good advice from reliable mechanic--if you want a Subaru Outback wagon, get a 2000/2001 or newer to avoid the known engine problems.

Subaru Outback
By Buckwheat on 11/24/04 15:38 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is the most reliable vehicle that I've ever owned. I'm an auto tech and I really don't like working on my own cars and this one really fits the bill. It is also one of the most sure footed vehicles that I've EVER owned for ice and snow.

I love this car!
By shey69 on 11/08/04 12:46 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my third Subaru wagon and they just keep getting better. I'm not easy on cars, but these Subarus take the beating and keep on running in style. Not to mention I can drive past most cars stuck in the mud and snow. I take alot of long trips and this model is sooo comfy. I always reccommend Subaru AWD to my friends.

DON'T BUY OVER 60K MILES!
By T Paul on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car with 65K and had to put a miminum of $1500/year to keep running! MINE HAS 100K NOW. Multiple failures and trust me, YOU CAN'T FIX THEM YOURSELF! You can't even change sparkplugs without a special tool. DON'T BUY THIS PIECE OF JUNK! My short list of repairs: window switch $250, oil pump $1000, DASH LIGHTS $250, rear hatch stuck $150, starter $400, alternator $400, FINNALY transfer case seals $1500! I did all dealership visits thinking I would prevent breakdowns but I WAS WRONG! I'M SELLING. ANYONE WANT TO BUY?

Thousands in repairs
By Glenford on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

We purchased this car new, and have always maintained it at the dealer. Over the years, we have not only had too many unexpected repairs (antenna, alternator, compressor, engine seals, engine seals, engine seals), but we repeatedly get it fixed only to have to return the next day for "final fixes". Compared to our 95 Honda Accord, this was so much less reliable we will not consider another Subaru.

ANOTHER Overrated Japanese Brand
By Whitebeard on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon

This car was bought used with 30,000 miles already racked up. Could not understand why someone would trade this car with such low milage, however I soon found out why! The car is terrible! A never ending source of annoying repairs from instrument cluster lights to alternators to whell bearings, axles, tie-rod ends, and Catalytic converters!. I also own a ford crown victoria and the Ford is MUCH MORE reliable. Gas milage for a 2.2 4 cylinder is around 19 mpg currently. Car is GARBAGE and will shortly be sold.