Used 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1996 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Love my Subaru
By Karen

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car all around. No major complaints over the 9 years I've had it. I get 21-24 miles per gallon with mixed city and highway driving on a daily basis. Travels long distances well and can pack a lot of stuff inside and on top.

Favorite Features

AWD is awesome, great in the snow and rain. Great visibility, good height off the ground. Tight steering and good turning radius. Easiest car to give an oil change to.

Suggested Improvements

Power door un-lock feature starts to decline after a while; annoying, but nothing terrible. Had an oil leak that cost a lot. Engine is so compact that some maintenence costs a lot because of accessibility issues.

Read me....
By danklug

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has 297,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable and still gets close to 26 mpg. This is not a car to buy if you are a do it yourself person. The spark plugs are impossible to change without dislocating your wrist. The replacement parts are high. It eats brakes. Heater lamps burn out constantly. The 2.5 engine leaves a lot to be desired. Overall a good car and a great value for the $4K range.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, stablilty.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder is a bad joke. Spark plug access. A turbo. Better fuel economy. Full instruments would be nice. A 2wd-4wd switch would be nice.

Poor Suby! It got totaled.
By Gregsly

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car as a lease return. During warranty coverage an engine seal went out (about $700). Had one alternator, and a sensor go out. The car has 3 oil leaks which would cost $2,000 to fix, but use only 1 qt/3000 miles, so I opted not to fix them at my mechanic's suggestion. He said that these leaks are endemic in this car and will just return if fixed. Dash lights have failed bit by bit. That said, I loved this car. Great to drive in snow/ice, reasonable power, reasonable economy. It was totaled a couple weeks ago so I'm in the market for another one.

Favorite Features

AWD is fantastic. Really. Car handles well especially for a station wagon. Mostly reliable (except for oil leaks and alternator). There's something intangible that makes this a great car to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Noise! window and door seals let in lots of air/road noise. This car needs a bigger fuel tank. A bit of work on mechanical reliability, especially engine seals.

Warning Against This Vehicle
By Alicia HB

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Engine problems. I have experience to prove it. Had it for 1.5 years and sunk over $3k into it. The previous owners, I later learned, put $6k into it in 4 months (ended up having the same mechanic...)Fun car, handles well and carries a lot, but ends up costing too much. Had it in the shop for regular $200 to $600 repairs. Always losing air in tires. Poor rims. Firestone tried to sand rims down since they were so poor so that I would not lose air continually.C urrently shopping for Toyota. Good advice from reliable mechanic--if you want a Subaru Outback wagon, get a 2000/2001 or newer to avoid the known engine problems.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Zippy.

Suggested Improvements

Buy 2000 model or newer. Make back seat more comfortable.Move cup holder (very bad position.) Allow back windows to go all the way down (vs. odd angled half way.)

I love this car!
By shey69

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my third Subaru wagon and they just keep getting better. I'm not easy on cars, but these Subarus take the beating and keep on running in style. Not to mention I can drive past most cars stuck in the mud and snow. I take alot of long trips and this model is sooo comfy. I always reccommend Subaru AWD to my friends.

Favorite Features

AWD and aggressive engine.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like to see more reasonably priced accessories.