Used 1996 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

BEAST
By krash5

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

It's strange... Looks like a Jeep Cherokee on the outside, feels like Honda on the inside, & drives like a Sherman Tank. The Pros outweigh the Cons, as this is one of the most reliable, safest, & unstoppable vehicles ever made. (Just youtube the words "Outback/Snow/Ice")

The AWD (All Wheel Drive) is an experience in itself. You may wonder why all cars aren't AWD after owning one. It does take a slight knock on the MPG's - but just in case you ever have to pull a Bison up a mountain that has ball bearings rolling down it...except no substitutes.

The boxer engine makes some maintenance challenging. - Overall it's a great value car. It helps that 97% of Subaru cars made 15 years ago are still on the road today. 97%...think about that. Subaru has a reputation for durability. The guy I bought mine from had another with half a million miles. Literally 550,000+ They have a cult-like following, & most people refuse to buy anything else after owning one.

GREAT Car
By VoxDrive

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased this vehicle as a lease turn- in. What a GREAT car!!! Fit and finish are excellent. The leather interior is quite comfortable and shows little wear after 8 years and 140,000 miles of ownership. While I have been fairly attentive to "normal" service intervals, I would be remiss to say that this car owes me nothing!! I have replaced the brake pads all arond twice and the front rotors once (at Subaru). Other than that (also changed the timing belt at 90G as precaution), the only other service the car needed was a Thermostat (stuck open) at 136,000 miles. This is my 5th Subaru. I will drive it until it is dead, and then I'm going to buy another one.

Styling, Performance and Braking. Comfortable and spacious cabin. All controls are easily readable and accessible.

WISH SUBARU HAD NOT STOPPED THE TURBO AT THE TIME. They have since mended the errors of their ways!

mediocre...
By Marco Vera

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

Great AWD, but then it's not snowing but 5% of the time even in MN! Awful clutch, replaced at 78,000mi, had been slipping for the past 20,000. Below average fuel consumption, average performance, and pretty crummy breaks. Air leak out of corroded front rims..reminds me of the FIAT I once owned... Don't think it deserves it's reliability reputation!

AWD is great, room to spare, great family car...

Please inprove quality! Resign that clutch! Look at rim corrosion!