1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
BEAST
By krash5 on 10/27/14 13:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

It's strange... Looks like a Jeep Cherokee on the outside, feels like Honda on the inside, & drives like a Sherman Tank. The Pros outweigh the Cons, as this is one of the most reliable, safest, & unstoppable vehicles ever made. (Just youtube the words "Outback/Snow/Ice")

GREAT Car
By VoxDrive on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased this vehicle as a lease turn- in. What a GREAT car!!! Fit and finish are excellent. The leather interior is quite comfortable and shows little wear after 8 years and 140,000 miles of ownership. While I have been fairly attentive to "normal" service intervals, I would be remiss to say that this car owes me nothing!! I have replaced the brake pads all arond twice and the front rotors once (at Subaru). Other than that (also changed the timing belt at 90G as precaution), the only other service the car needed was a Thermostat (stuck open) at 136,000 miles. This is my 5th Subaru. I will drive it until it is dead, and then I'm going to buy another one.

mediocre...
By Marco Vera on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 4dr Wagon AWD

Great AWD, but then it's not snowing but 5% of the time even in MN! Awful clutch, replaced at 78,000mi, had been slipping for the past 20,000. Below average fuel consumption, average performance, and pretty crummy breaks. Air leak out of corroded front rims..reminds me of the FIAT I once owned... Don't think it deserves it's reliability reputation!