Used 1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton Wagon Consumer Reviews - 2 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

After 275k miles, still a great car!
By Jim

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

My Legacy Brighton was purchased new in 1996 and has remained in my family since then. It has been subjected to hard driving and New England winters and still looks and runs great! After 275,000 miles, I have had minimal repairs except for the transmission, which has been rebuilt each 125k miles (approx.). Can't beat the all-wheel drive for the snow and body integrity is excellent - just one spot of rust after 8 years. I will definitely buy one again! Too bad they've become pricey in recent years - I guess the secret is out.

Incredible reliability. Smart, simple design. Strong body (has been in several fender-benders and still looks great).

Seats are uncomfortable on long drives -very little lower back support. I hear that Subaru has addressed this in newer models. Also, gas tank is very small. But then again, it's not so painful to fill up.

Way better than a gas-guzzling SUV
By targent

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this car used six years ago
at 30,000 miles. It now has 90,000.
Until this week, I had virtually no
problems with it, driving it on many
long trips (including coast-to-coast
several times) and through sand, snow,
and other less-than-ideal road
conditions. Depsite the $900 repair
bill for a new water pump, various oil
seals/gaskets, a tensioner bearing, and
a timing belt, I've been very, very
pleased with the car, especially
mechanically.

After having this car, I would never buy a car WITHOUT all-wheel drive. I've been pleasantly surprised by fuel mileage, which is consistently 31 mpg on the highway.

With age, the suspension has gotten a little creaky. Position of cup-holder is bad.