1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Great car but 2.5L mechanically is terrible
By emilyxmay on 11/24/11 20:15 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased 2.5L Legacy Outback 10/09 - 156k - w/o inspection. W/in a week $1400 transfer case repair...had no AWD. Wonderful AWD now, BUT has cost $4500 past 2 yrs incl transfer case, timing belt, radiator + bi-mo. repairs. A/C has never worked. Ck eng light on constantly altho turns off by itself several days later. Recently a long-standing misfire issue became full blown problem. Car barely started making noises like a starter problem, shook horribly, probably only running on 1 cylinder. Today, it does start, runs somewhat smoothly, engine sounds odd. Blown engine? Will miss my beloved Outback. R.I.P. Now allocating my Suby repair budget to buy new car.

Love this car!
By speedy2015 on 07/17/11 22:04 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I live in Maine and needed a car that could withstand our weather. I bought my '96 in December because I had heard good reviews about Subaru's. My dad was unsure about it because he had never worked on a Subaru before, but quickly changed his mind when he drove it in the snow. It doesn't shift very smoothly (for an automatic) anymore and the 2.5 likes the liquids a little more than I prefer. The check engine light has been on since I got the car (the previous owner said it was because of an oil leak) and the gas mileage is comparable to a half ton Dodge pick-up truck, but I still love this car.

Great awd car that thinks it's an SUV
By pasublvr on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

After years of owning American made SUVs, and still wanting the roominess and 4wd of one, I settled on this. I am single and have no children, so friends and family thought I was crazy at first, but what a great car it has turned out to be! Am trading it in, 80k miles and no major repairs later, for a much newer Outback tomorrow.

Dead reliable , but clumsy & thirsty
By WriConsult on 06/29/10 16:40 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I've had Subarus because I need a reliable wagon. Few choices in the decadent SUV era. Bought our Outback when our beloved '90 Legacy w/205,000 mi got stolen. Glad we got a '96 5speed, the only 2.2 L Outback ever. Great for camping/biking/ski trips but not so fun in town: too long for many urban parking spots, HUGE turning radius made tight spots even harder, big blind spots in the rear view. Would drive the smaller, nimbler Forester or Impreza if got better mpg (they don't!) and didn't have the troublesome 2.5 L. I'm a skilled winter driver & use winter tires, so I'd even do without AWD for the extra 2 mpg. Subaru's fuel economy will be unacceptable in the future era of $5 gas.

Long Time Owner
By Gonk on 11/12/09 02:35 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I owned this for over 13 years. Absolutely fun to drive. The most memorable drives were shortly after purchasing it in March 1996. We drove up to the mountains to get a good look at Comet Hyakutake. This began about 10:00PM and for the last 12 miles or so (past the road closed sign) we saw nothing but snowmobile tracks. I drove in perfect confidence. It was amazing. There were many other drives like that. I very reluctantly gave up on it after too many engine expenses.

No regrets
By Chris on 05/18/09 08:31 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

My car is getting old now, but is still the best car I've ever owned, beating even a BMW. It's fun to drive (manual trans) gets 26 mpg and keeps going in Chicago winters--through snow, rain, ice and crazy drivers. The engine (2.2l) is the best. My mechanic loves this car! While I've had work on auxiliary systems it's all been expected maintenance (brakes, clutch, water pump etc). The engine itself is still in great shape. The car seats are a little hard, and really, the cup holder over the CD player? Whose idea was that? My next car will be a Subaru, too.

Keeps stalling
By Louisa on 05/02/09 12:09 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

I have owned this car for only 5 months and it has been a horrible experience. Its check engine light keeps coming on. I changed master air flow, a wire, the differential, and the main computer. The car is still stalling in traffic and other most inopportune places. I bought this car for my daughter's 21 birthday and she has only driven it maybe two weeks out of owning the car. What else could it be!!!!

Best Car I've ever owned!
By Carl Thormeyer on 10/30/08 17:36 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has been a very reliable workhorse. It's great in the mountains and in snow. Great for transporting kids and hauling stuff. Best car I've ever owned. New clutch at 80K miles plus a few other major repairs over time, but nothing unexpected. Keep up the regular servicing and this car will treat you right! But, after 12 years, it's time for a new Outback. I will hate to give up my 1996 edition!

1996 Outback
By dblanchj89 on 09/26/08 20:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

This is hands down one of the best cars on the road. I purchased one of these after I spent thousands on repairing the constant flaws of my explorer and Jimmy. I could not be happier with this car. I was so please with it that I bought another 96 LSi. My only warning is to make sure you watch your oil! My outback uses a little on freeway trips but the LSi uses it quite a bit. Also, do not be upset if you have to replace head gaskets. The Lsi had them done and the outback has been lucky so far with almost 200,000 miles (knock on wood). The AWD is great and fuel economy is pretty decent. These cars will last over 300,000 miles. Timing belts made need to be done as well. Still a great car!

I love this car - the best I ever had
By Myra on 08/27/08 12:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I live up a rock based road of 3 miles off a 2 lane black topped road. This car has had very few repairs in the 12 years I have owned it and used it. It is a comfortable ride despite rough roads; I love to turn corners in it - it is so easy to steer and turns on a dime (well, never really tried that, but you know what I mean). Just took it for its annual check up, all it needed was oil changed and tires inflated. It's supportive like a good man, without the hassle of inviting it into the house!