Used 1996 Subaru Legacy L Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

I still love it
By B. P

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I really like my car. I bought it for the NY winters and it hasn't let me down. I've had to put some money into it but almost all problems have been rust related (catalytic converters, gas line, oil seal leaks). My best money spent on it was to improve the wheels to after-market 5-spoke alloys. Makes the car look more unique and much better. If this car was in any other state than NY I assume that it would be best car ever built. I recommend them to anyone who needs AWD.

My new wheels, AWD, 5-speed manual, overall styling but especially the rear end look. Almost prefer it sans spoiler.

More power, better electrical work (my gas gauge and temp. control lights don't work).

subarus rock!
By subarus rock!

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I am completely happy with the purchase of my 1996 Subaru. It has over 100,000 miles, but runs very smoothly. The only downside is that when idling it does kinda shake, but it's not an inconvenience. It's not very zippy and speedy, but once it gets over 50 it is easy to cruise. The cupholder is pretty much worthless, but that is it's only major flaw. If you have the opportunity to find one of these cars, especially for a first time buyer or teenager, spring on it! They are hardy and very reliable.

An OK vehicle but far overrated!!
By maureena

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

Purchased in early 2000 with 68,000 miles. Subs are big business in the NW so figured it would maintain a great resale value. Now have approx 137k miles and will probably get rid of it. To often, something is going wrong, now it has another oil leak that will require tearing apart the engine to find. On again, off again pinging coming from underneath and squeaking from the passenger side wheels. This model looks better with the spoiler (which I have) but wished I'd chosed something other than the "suburu green" color which is far too common of a color for sub. Also, paid way too much for this car.

Turns easily, storage capacity has been great, comfortabe interior; has been dependable.

Too loud on the inside when driving (of course I had a camry prior to this); too difficult for weekend "mechanics" to get to certain things within the engine area; fuel economy sucks!!

A Wonderful Car
By roadroost

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

Our Subaru Legacy Sedan has nearly 110,000 miles on it, and the only negative thing that we have to say about it is that it doesn't feel peppy. Other than that, it has been an excellent car... reliable and comfortable.

AWD! The real stuff: full time, always on All Wheel Drive, unlike the Escape, Honda CRV, Toyota, and Volvo AWD systems. Ours has seen a lot of snow and ice, rain, mud, sand (Michigan's Upper Peninsula), and always made it through.

More grunt while keeping the same mpg.