1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Climb a tree if you hit it right!
By rainbowrev on 08/30/12 11:26 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

This was the second car i ever owned and after a Hyundai Elantra this eas a god send. The 4 cylinders are great on gas especially on the highway. I took it mudding because i was young and kept up with a 4x4 bronco in the mud. I kept the gas down and it kept moving. I had alot of fun on ice as well, the awd is remarkable. I put alot of wear into that car but it never let up. I wrecked the suspension(totally my fault!) but it took a serious beating. also destroyed the bearings which where a cheap fix. lifters ticked after 157,000 miles with an oil leak. coolant problems at 175,000 miles but a new radiator for 1oo bucks self installed corected this. I sold it cheap. Loved the car. Great buy!

I still love it
By B. P on 08/25/05 16:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I really like my car. I bought it for the NY winters and it hasn't let me down. I've had to put some money into it but almost all problems have been rust related (catalytic converters, gas line, oil seal leaks). My best money spent on it was to improve the wheels to after-market 5-spoke alloys. Makes the car look more unique and much better. If this car was in any other state than NY I assume that it would be best car ever built. I recommend them to anyone who needs AWD.

Subaru Legacy LS AWD
By Brett on 08/18/05 13:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

Subaru Legacy LS sedan with AWD - the best car I ever owned! It went almost everywhere my Jeep can go, and it rarely had any mechanical problems. When it did, it was very inexpensive and very easy to fix. My job requires a lot of driving and the Subaru did it all ... through the snow, the rain, all day and all night! I stayed on the road and watched everybody else go in the ditch. I even got rear-ended by a car-hauler 3 days ago. With over 175,000 miles on it now, the Subaru may have seen its final day, but I walked away from the accident, and my next car will probably be another Subaru.

Awesome 1996 LS AWD wagon
By sunnie on 02/15/05 19:53 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this wagon from a friend who purchased it new so I have driven it for 9 years, as I drove for her. It has been reliable, comfortable and great fun to drive. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone, but especially old sports car buffs as it handles like the a dream. With 87,000 miles there have been no serious mechanical problems, only routine stuff like battery, tires, etc.

Campus Cruisin' Econo-style
By Darren Greco on 06/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

My parents bought it for me with 40k miles back in 2000, now it has 75k. The only thing it has ever needed was a new timing belt, which is recommended at about 60000 miles. All in all a great value. So all you parents out there looking for a car for your kid... get 'em a Subaru! Trust me, my Subie's been through it all, and she still runs like she did the day I got her. I Hope I never have to sell it!

This car is built to last
By dudemanken on 12/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car new in 96 and have amassed 133K+ miles. There was never any major issues with this car. It has been flawless in all weather elements, especially in some recent brutal Northeast snowstorms. And, with the fold-down seats, it has held up well for the weekend warrior Home Depot trips. I will be trading the car in today for a Mercedes E320 4Matic and hope the new car will hold up as well as this Subaru.

My money pit
By jasonc314 on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

bought my subaru with 96,000 miles. it got to 98000 and the valve guides pushed throught the heads(or something like that). Seeing these are boxer motors, both heads went, a week apart. Cost 1200 for a new motor with 40k miles. Dealer wanted 1800 to fix heads (475 a head + labor). Got that fixed, cv joints blew. Car is a money pit seeing i only put on 10000 miles! Mechanic said the seller didnt rig the motor, but it was a manufacturing problem by fuji heavy industries. I will never ever buy another subaru. They also suck in snow, i dont care what anyone says.

subarus rock!
By subarus rock! on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I am completely happy with the purchase of my 1996 Subaru. It has over 100,000 miles, but runs very smoothly. The only downside is that when idling it does kinda shake, but it's not an inconvenience. It's not very zippy and speedy, but once it gets over 50 it is easy to cruise. The cupholder is pretty much worthless, but that is it's only major flaw. If you have the opportunity to find one of these cars, especially for a first time buyer or teenager, spring on it! They are hardy and very reliable.

An OK vehicle but far overrated!!
By maureena on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

Purchased in early 2000 with 68,000 miles. Subs are big business in the NW so figured it would maintain a great resale value. Now have approx 137k miles and will probably get rid of it. To often, something is going wrong, now it has another oil leak that will require tearing apart the engine to find. On again, off again pinging coming from underneath and squeaking from the passenger side wheels. This model looks better with the spoiler (which I have) but wished I'd chosed something other than the "suburu green" color which is far too common of a color for sub. Also, paid way too much for this car.

NICE CAR BUT....
By NEW ENGLAND GAL on 03/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

AT 45000 - DASHBOARD LIGHTS/HVAC DID NOT LIGHT UP. HEAD A PROBLEM WITH GASOLINE TANK SENSORS, REPLACED AND HAD GASOLINE LEAK...DEALER CLAIMED UNRELATED PROBLEM WITH REAR WINDSHIELD DEFROSTER, CLIP UNDER REAR SEATBELT COVER, DEALER SAID NOT COVERED BY EXTENDED WARRANTY, COMPLAINED TO SOA-NJ, AND THEY REFUNDED THE AMOUNT OF THE REPAIR-GOING TO DEALERSHIP TWICE WAS NOT TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION. DOOR LOCK TIMING SWITCH NEEDED REPLACEMENT, SO DID WINDOW CONTROLS IN DRIVERS DOOR I LOVE THE AWD, SEDAN STYLE, JUST WISH IT WAS MORE RELIABLE AT 100,000 MILES - CV JOINTS, CATALYTIC CONVERTER ARE ALMOST COMPLETELY SHOT