Used 1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Climb a tree if you hit it right!
By rainbowrev

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

This was the second car i ever owned and after a Hyundai Elantra this eas a god send. The 4 cylinders are great on gas especially on the highway. I took it mudding because i was young and kept up with a 4x4 bronco in the mud. I kept the gas down and it kept moving. I had alot of fun on ice as well, the awd is remarkable. I put alot of wear into that car but it never let up. I wrecked the suspension(totally my fault!) but it took a serious beating. also destroyed the bearings which where a cheap fix. lifters ticked after 157,000 miles with an oil leak. coolant problems at 175,000 miles but a new radiator for 1oo bucks self installed corected this. I sold it cheap. Loved the car. Great buy!

Favorite Features

Awd, frameless windows, suspension, mpg, trunk, solid frame

Suggested Improvements

interior, a v6 would have been nice too

I still love it
By B. P

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I really like my car. I bought it for the NY winters and it hasn't let me down. I've had to put some money into it but almost all problems have been rust related (catalytic converters, gas line, oil seal leaks). My best money spent on it was to improve the wheels to after-market 5-spoke alloys. Makes the car look more unique and much better. If this car was in any other state than NY I assume that it would be best car ever built. I recommend them to anyone who needs AWD.

Favorite Features

My new wheels, AWD, 5-speed manual, overall styling but especially the rear end look. Almost prefer it sans spoiler.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better electrical work (my gas gauge and temp. control lights don't work).

Subaru Legacy LS AWD
By Brett

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

Subaru Legacy LS sedan with AWD - the best car I ever owned! It went almost everywhere my Jeep can go, and it rarely had any mechanical problems. When it did, it was very inexpensive and very easy to fix. My job requires a lot of driving and the Subaru did it all ... through the snow, the rain, all day and all night! I stayed on the road and watched everybody else go in the ditch. I even got rear-ended by a car-hauler 3 days ago. With over 175,000 miles on it now, the Subaru may have seen its final day, but I walked away from the accident, and my next car will probably be another Subaru.

Favorite Features

The AWD and overall handling. Driving on ice and snow was great! Just slow the speed down and watch out for everybody else. I always made it to work and wherever I needed to go. Also the car handled corners great. I could whip around corners and take exits ramps just like James Bond.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder in mine popped out from the dash and was above the radio. If it was really hot out, the condensation from my drink would drip on the radio face, and onto the shifter. It was also pretty flimsy. Other than that ... nothing. Great Car!

Awesome 1996 LS AWD wagon
By sunnie

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this wagon from a friend who purchased it new so I have driven it for 9 years, as I drove for her. It has been reliable, comfortable and great fun to drive. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone, but especially old sports car buffs as it handles like the a dream. With 87,000 miles there have been no serious mechanical problems, only routine stuff like battery, tires, etc.

Favorite Features

Sunroof and electric door and windows.

Campus Cruisin' Econo-style
By Darren Greco

1996 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

My parents bought it for me with 40k miles back in 2000, now it has 75k. The only thing it has ever needed was a new timing belt, which is recommended at about 60000 miles. All in all a great value. So all you parents out there looking for a car for your kid... get 'em a Subaru! Trust me, my Subie's been through it all, and she still runs like she did the day I got her. I Hope I never have to sell it!

Favorite Features

The AWD is awesome in snow and wet roads. Interior is nice, not cheap. Huge trunk with fold-down seats is another plus, and there are lots of storage compartments inside. I have always liked the look of the sashless windows too, it's a trademark Subaru thing.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is good, but city driving with AC on only gets 17-18mpg. Another annoyance is the ABS light. It's always coming on, but nothing needs to be repaired. Also, The Legacy REALLY needs a bigger engine.