1996 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Love this car!
By speedy2015 on 07/17/11 22:04 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I live in Maine and needed a car that could withstand our weather. I bought my '96 in December because I had heard good reviews about Subaru's. My dad was unsure about it because he had never worked on a Subaru before, but quickly changed his mind when he drove it in the snow. It doesn't shift very smoothly (for an automatic) anymore and the 2.5 likes the liquids a little more than I prefer. The check engine light has been on since I got the car (the previous owner said it was because of an oil leak) and the gas mileage is comparable to a half ton Dodge pick-up truck, but I still love this car.

Dead reliable , but clumsy & thirsty
By WriConsult on 06/29/10 16:40 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I've had Subarus because I need a reliable wagon. Few choices in the decadent SUV era. Bought our Outback when our beloved '90 Legacy w/205,000 mi got stolen. Glad we got a '96 5speed, the only 2.2 L Outback ever. Great for camping/biking/ski trips but not so fun in town: too long for many urban parking spots, HUGE turning radius made tight spots even harder, big blind spots in the rear view. Would drive the smaller, nimbler Forester or Impreza if got better mpg (they don't!) and didn't have the troublesome 2.5 L. I'm a skilled winter driver & use winter tires, so I'd even do without AWD for the extra 2 mpg. Subaru's fuel economy will be unacceptable in the future era of $5 gas.

Long Time Owner
By Gonk on 11/12/09 02:35 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I owned this for over 13 years. Absolutely fun to drive. The most memorable drives were shortly after purchasing it in March 1996. We drove up to the mountains to get a good look at Comet Hyakutake. This began about 10:00PM and for the last 12 miles or so (past the road closed sign) we saw nothing but snowmobile tracks. I drove in perfect confidence. It was amazing. There were many other drives like that. I very reluctantly gave up on it after too many engine expenses.

No regrets
By Chris on 05/18/09 08:31 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

My car is getting old now, but is still the best car I've ever owned, beating even a BMW. It's fun to drive (manual trans) gets 26 mpg and keeps going in Chicago winters--through snow, rain, ice and crazy drivers. The engine (2.2l) is the best. My mechanic loves this car! While I've had work on auxiliary systems it's all been expected maintenance (brakes, clutch, water pump etc). The engine itself is still in great shape. The car seats are a little hard, and really, the cup holder over the CD player? Whose idea was that? My next car will be a Subaru, too.

Best Car I've ever owned!
By Carl Thormeyer on 10/30/08 17:36 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has been a very reliable workhorse. It's great in the mountains and in snow. Great for transporting kids and hauling stuff. Best car I've ever owned. New clutch at 80K miles plus a few other major repairs over time, but nothing unexpected. Keep up the regular servicing and this car will treat you right! But, after 12 years, it's time for a new Outback. I will hate to give up my 1996 edition!

I love this car - the best I ever had
By Myra on 08/27/08 12:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I live up a rock based road of 3 miles off a 2 lane black topped road. This car has had very few repairs in the 12 years I have owned it and used it. It is a comfortable ride despite rough roads; I love to turn corners in it - it is so easy to steer and turns on a dime (well, never really tried that, but you know what I mean). Just took it for its annual check up, all it needed was oil changed and tires inflated. It's supportive like a good man, without the hassle of inviting it into the house!

1996 Subaru Outback wagon AWD
By frank on 04/18/08 14:57 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has 350,000 on it and its' still going. However, I had to replace the engine. Watch out for engines in this car - they eat oil. I put in a used 1996 engine and started have oil eating problems within the first month. Oh, well, its still running! I'd buy another Subaru

Future cult car?
By aimee on 03/21/08 05:18 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car. I live in New Zealand a country with all types of terrain, this grand wagon badged SUV tackles mud, snow, shallow rivers with an ability riviaing the best. Of course on road dynamics excel too. I'm unsure if many owners/admirers are aware of their off-road ability. Reliable, no motor troubles and smooth auto. 87,000km going strong. Brilliant 4WD layout. Added all-terrain tyres, plan to lift suspension 1.5"(37mm)

96 Outback Wagon
By mikesreed on 08/03/06 19:15 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought used and LOVE it. Car is most reliable vehicle I have ever owned in my 37 years. Outstanding in all weather and especially in snow. Subaru value is unmatched in all aspects.

Super 'Ru
By Lil Joe Rice on 09/22/05 10:27 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

There are few words to accurately describe how much I love my 'Ru. It's absolutely amazing! I ford rivers/creeks in it, I've driven through 2 feet of snow in it, climbed rocks in it. Plus, I put about 60 miles on it a day going to and from work. All in all, it's the best all around car I've owned in my driving career and it has effectively sold me on the brand. I own my dream car. It will never win a drag race, it will never place high in a mud bog, but it gets me to work everyday, regardless of weather, temperature, terrain or obstacles. I've even been known to drive over a parking lot barrier or two just to prove the car's mettle. How do I feel about my 'Ru? In a word or two: It's amazing.