1996 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Great car but 2.5L mechanically is terrible
By emilyxmay on 11/24/11 20:15 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

Purchased 2.5L Legacy Outback 10/09 - 156k - w/o inspection. W/in a week $1400 transfer case repair...had no AWD. Wonderful AWD now, BUT has cost $4500 past 2 yrs incl transfer case, timing belt, radiator + bi-mo. repairs. A/C has never worked. Ck eng light on constantly altho turns off by itself several days later. Recently a long-standing misfire issue became full blown problem. Car barely started making noises like a starter problem, shook horribly, probably only running on 1 cylinder. Today, it does start, runs somewhat smoothly, engine sounds odd. Blown engine? Will miss my beloved Outback. R.I.P. Now allocating my Suby repair budget to buy new car.

Keeps stalling
By Louisa on 05/02/09 12:09 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

I have owned this car for only 5 months and it has been a horrible experience. Its check engine light keeps coming on. I changed master air flow, a wire, the differential, and the main computer. The car is still stalling in traffic and other most inopportune places. I bought this car for my daughter's 21 birthday and she has only driven it maybe two weeks out of owning the car. What else could it be!!!!

1996 Outback
By dblanchj89 on 09/26/08 20:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

This is hands down one of the best cars on the road. I purchased one of these after I spent thousands on repairing the constant flaws of my explorer and Jimmy. I could not be happier with this car. I was so please with it that I bought another 96 LSi. My only warning is to make sure you watch your oil! My outback uses a little on freeway trips but the LSi uses it quite a bit. Also, do not be upset if you have to replace head gaskets. The Lsi had them done and the outback has been lucky so far with almost 200,000 miles (knock on wood). The AWD is great and fuel economy is pretty decent. These cars will last over 300,000 miles. Timing belts made need to be done as well. Still a great car!

Proves Reliable Year After Year
By Russ on 04/05/05 16:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

I could not be more satisfied with acar. I bought it used with 76k miles on it, and 4 years later I have 149k and going strong. Routine maintenance issues, a gasket here and there, and an alternator, and it is still going strong! No tranny issues. Just a great car!

Thousands in repairs
By Glenford on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

We purchased this car new, and have always maintained it at the dealer. Over the years, we have not only had too many unexpected repairs (antenna, alternator, compressor, engine seals, engine seals, engine seals), but we repeatedly get it fixed only to have to return the next day for "final fixes". Compared to our 95 Honda Accord, this was so much less reliable we will not consider another Subaru.

Love this Car!
By rusbkee on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

Have thoroughly enjoyed owning this automobile. Fun to own and drive. Minor repair items along the way. Super reliable!