1996 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Climb a tree if you hit it right!
By rainbowrev on 08/30/12 11:26 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan AWD

This was the second car i ever owned and after a Hyundai Elantra this eas a god send. The 4 cylinders are great on gas especially on the highway. I took it mudding because i was young and kept up with a 4x4 bronco in the mud. I kept the gas down and it kept moving. I had alot of fun on ice as well, the awd is remarkable. I put alot of wear into that car but it never let up. I wrecked the suspension(totally my fault!) but it took a serious beating. also destroyed the bearings which where a cheap fix. lifters ticked after 157,000 miles with an oil leak. coolant problems at 175,000 miles but a new radiator for 1oo bucks self installed corected this. I sold it cheap. Loved the car. Great buy!

Subaru Legacy LS AWD
By Brett on 08/18/05 13:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan AWD

Subaru Legacy LS sedan with AWD - the best car I ever owned! It went almost everywhere my Jeep can go, and it rarely had any mechanical problems. When it did, it was very inexpensive and very easy to fix. My job requires a lot of driving and the Subaru did it all ... through the snow, the rain, all day and all night! I stayed on the road and watched everybody else go in the ditch. I even got rear-ended by a car-hauler 3 days ago. With over 175,000 miles on it now, the Subaru may have seen its final day, but I walked away from the accident, and my next car will probably be another Subaru.

Awesome 1996 LS AWD wagon
By sunnie on 02/15/05 19:53 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this wagon from a friend who purchased it new so I have driven it for 9 years, as I drove for her. It has been reliable, comfortable and great fun to drive. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone, but especially old sports car buffs as it handles like the a dream. With 87,000 miles there have been no serious mechanical problems, only routine stuff like battery, tires, etc.

This car is built to last
By dudemanken on 12/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car new in 96 and have amassed 133K+ miles. There was never any major issues with this car. It has been flawless in all weather elements, especially in some recent brutal Northeast snowstorms. And, with the fold-down seats, it has held up well for the weekend warrior Home Depot trips. I will be trading the car in today for a Mercedes E320 4Matic and hope the new car will hold up as well as this Subaru.

Oil Seal Defects
By QuintrKD on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan AWD

Oil Seals on my wife's Legacy went bad at 75,000. About same mileage as went my Oil Seals went bad on my Forester. After some research, I've found that this is a relatively common and recurring problem. I like the AWD, but I'll never buy another Subaru as Honda's and Toyota's appear to be more reliable.