Used 1996 Subaru Legacy L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Very dependable
By Dan C

1996 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

I am at 186,000 miles and have experienced very few problems. Automatic door lock malfunctions have recurred a number of times however. Also, don't let your drink drip or sweat too much or it messes up the neutral-start switch (under the shift console). Have replaced an oxygen sensor and speed sensor; TPS probably next.

Favorite Features

four-wheel drive, reliability, easy to change oil.

Suggested Improvements

Door lock system, perhaps easier access for spark plug changes and simple repairs.

Buy a Toyota
By seattle

1996 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

I agree with the other reviewers who tell you not to buy this car with more than 60,000 miles. I've had numerous, expensive repairs done which I NEVER had to do on Toyotas I've owned. I LOVE the looks, size and idea of the legacy, but I'm really going to have to think twice before I buy another Subaru.

Favorite Features

AWD, good size

Suggested Improvements

Bigger engine, better gas mileage. Redesign the automatic door locks. If you lock the driver side, it locks the whole car = good. If you unlock the driver side, it unlocks the whole car = annoying and creeps me out in isolated parking garages.

ANOTHER Overrated Japanese Brand
By Whitebeard

1996 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

This car was bought used with 30,000 miles already racked up. Could not understand why someone would trade this car with such low milage, however I soon found out why! The car is terrible! A never ending source of annoying repairs from instrument cluster lights to alternators to whell bearings, axles, tie-rod ends, and Catalytic converters!. I also own a ford crown victoria and the Ford is MUCH MORE reliable. Gas milage for a 2.2 4 cylinder is around 19 mpg currently. Car is GARBAGE and will shortly be sold.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Not possible.

'96 Subaru Wagon --My "Work Horse"
By tracyd123

1996 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

I just love my Subaru Wagon. It has 58000 original miles (i'm original owner). The AWD is great on ice, snow, slick wet desert roads, and gravel/sandy roads. It's big enough to travel 2000 miles/yr with my two big dogs in back seat and my fish, and all my belongings--for my animals and me for an extended summer vacation. I've driven it thru blizzards and gumbo (mud) in SD, flash floods in Las Vegas, ice and snow in UT, and on hot/dry and slick/wet roads throughout America. It is virtually problem free (only tires, battery, and brake shoes needed) and totally reliable.

Favorite Features

Reliability and dependability on any driving surface, including off road.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage and bring back the 4WD on demand as opposed to AWD!

1996 Subaru L AWD Station Wagon
By mustang

1996 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

Terrific car. AWD works amazingly well in all weather conditions. Power is somewhat lacking, but enough. Car has 98000 miles and has had no major problems. We had two sensors go out with a total cost of $216.00. Get about 31 mpg on the road and about 26 on stop and go driving. Cupholder unhandy. Plenty of cargo room with more available with rear seats down. Good styling that does not diminish with age. Wife's car and will not have anything else.

Favorite Features

Ease of driving. Gas mileage. Cargo space. Styling.

Suggested Improvements

More power with minimal decrease in gas mileage. Reposition cup holders(which Subaru has done in later models.) Make it easier to replace front side lights (have to take out grill.)