Used 1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1996 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

After 275k miles, still a great car!
By Jim

1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

My Legacy Brighton was purchased new in 1996 and has remained in my family since then. It has been subjected to hard driving and New England winters and still looks and runs great! After 275,000 miles, I have had minimal repairs except for the transmission, which has been rebuilt each 125k miles (approx.). Can't beat the all-wheel drive for the snow and body integrity is excellent - just one spot of rust after 8 years. I will definitely buy one again! Too bad they've become pricey in recent years - I guess the secret is out.

Favorite Features

Incredible reliability. Smart, simple design. Strong body (has been in several fender-benders and still looks great).

Suggested Improvements

Seats are uncomfortable on long drives -very little lower back support. I hear that Subaru has addressed this in newer models. Also, gas tank is very small. But then again, it's not so painful to fill up.

Way better than a gas-guzzling SUV
By targent

1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

I purchased this car used six years ago at 30,000 miles. It now has 90,000. Until this week, I had virtually no problems with it, driving it on many long trips (including coast-to-coast several times) and through sand, snow, and other less-than-ideal road conditions. Depsite the $900 repair bill for a new water pump, various oil seals/gaskets, a tensioner bearing, and a timing belt, I've been very, very pleased with the car, especially mechanically.

Favorite Features

After having this car, I would never buy a car WITHOUT all-wheel drive. I've been pleasantly surprised by fuel mileage, which is consistently 31 mpg on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

With age, the suspension has gotten a little creaky. Position of cup-holder is bad.