Winter beater that lasts
By classicbob on
1995 Subaru Legacy 4dr Sedan
I bought a 14 year old Legacy wagon last year as a winter beater, which i planned to keep until upgrade to a newer and better car in the spring. One year later I'm still looking for that 'better car' but haven't found it yet. This car has taken me cross country twice in the past year, over the Rocky mountains (strangely it got better gas mileage at high elevation), and plowed effortlessly through 18 inches of snow! I had to replace a front strut assembly after the coil spring broke around 180,000 miles. It doesn't like to hold its idle speed, not sure what the problem is. And the 'check engine' light keeps popping up, common problem it seems. Otherwise it's great, best car i've ever bought!
Favorite Features
My favorite feature is the amazing AWD that gets me through everything. Fuel economy and reliability, other than the strut and maintenance, it hasn't needed anything!
Suggested Improvements
like the other commentaries, cup holder is in a stupid place, and the headlights should be a brighter. Automatic transmission doesn't always shift as smoothly as i'd like. More ground clearance would be nice too, so I'm thinking the only car I'd replace this with is an Outback.