Used 1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

472000 and its still tuggin along
By joepuff

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my first car I bought and I gotta admit it is pretty sweet to drive, Very reliable in the snow as some people have already said. You'd think this car with 472k km on it would run like crap but with High octane gas man this thing goes pretty good. I'd recommend this car to anyone.

Wallflower
By sagebrush

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

A plain, unassuming car, but very reliable overall. AWD is handy, esp. in ice/snow. Disappointing gas mileage for a 4 cyl. Cup holder an abject failure. Horizontally opposed 4 (get the 2.2, not the 2.5) is dated but very reliable. (Thank you, Dr. Porsche, for the concept). Auto. trans. is a balky Borg-Warner unit. Ugh. Shades of Rambler. Car is too low slung, but corners well. I installed a cut-out switch to select FWD or AWD, which helps with fuel economy. (Why did Subaru eliminate that feature?). One of those cars which, despite its faults, grows on you, and is a worthy ride. My next car will have to compensate for the Legacy's plain vanilla persona. Perhaps a Caprice Police Interceptor?

Favorite Features

AWD, flat four engine, good sound system, sturdy unibody, overall reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Re-design cup holder. Auto. trans. needs upgrade. Improve fuel economy. More space between gas and brake pedals. Raise front seats 3". Bring back selector switch for AWD/FWD. Re- design rear seat fold-down.

Winter beater that lasts
By classicbob

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought a 14 year old Legacy wagon last year as a winter beater, which i planned to keep until upgrade to a newer and better car in the spring. One year later I'm still looking for that 'better car' but haven't found it yet. This car has taken me cross country twice in the past year, over the Rocky mountains (strangely it got better gas mileage at high elevation), and plowed effortlessly through 18 inches of snow! I had to replace a front strut assembly after the coil spring broke around 180,000 miles. It doesn't like to hold its idle speed, not sure what the problem is. And the 'check engine' light keeps popping up, common problem it seems. Otherwise it's great, best car i've ever bought!

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the amazing AWD that gets me through everything. Fuel economy and reliability, other than the strut and maintenance, it hasn't needed anything!

Suggested Improvements

like the other commentaries, cup holder is in a stupid place, and the headlights should be a brighter. Automatic transmission doesn't always shift as smoothly as i'd like. More ground clearance would be nice too, so I'm thinking the only car I'd replace this with is an Outback.

Fantastic Daily Driver!
By n2vdubz

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon LS 4dr Wagon AWD

I was handed down my '95 Subaru Wagon from my father. The Suby' currently has 231,000 miles on the odometer at the moment and has been virtually problem free. Great in snow, just push the gas and it takes off with no tire slippage. My tranny thunks a little bit sometimes when it kicks into second gear, but with this many miles on the car, it's understandable. I keep up with its regularly scheduled oil changes, and have even gone over a few 1000 miles before. The Subaru continues to run smoothly and efficiently. Just had some maintenance work done to her in order to pass my state inspection. My mechanic said the car looks excellent underneath and I should hold onto it. I plan on it.

Favorite Features

AWD, power windows, power locks, headlights that turn off when I shut the car off, ample trunk space, plenty of passenger room, great ride height (especially in winter driving conditions). I can't say enough good things about this car.

Suggested Improvements

Placement of cup holder blocks stereo when pulled out and gets in the way. Gas mileage isn't always great, but is acceptable. Other than that, it's great.

So long my Subaru
By amy

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I just had an accident with my 95, and the insurance company has chosen to total it, but I will really miss it, and look forward to my next Subaru. With 124,000 miles, it still got 28-30 mpg on the highway, could hold an amazing amount of cargo, and was great in the snow. Sure, it leaked a little oil like most old Subies, but not enough to have to add any. Had some wind noise around the driver's door, and no mechanic could ever figure out the vibration that happened between 60 & 80 mph, but nothing that made me regret buying it. It's a great practical car.

Favorite Features

Lots of cargo room, moonroof

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder is in an awkward position.