1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
472000 and its still tuggin along
By joepuff on 04/10/12 17:36 PM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my first car I bought and I gotta admit it is pretty sweet to drive, Very reliable in the snow as some people have already said. You'd think this car with 472k km on it would run like crap but with High octane gas man this thing goes pretty good. I'd recommend this car to anyone.

Wallflower
By sagebrush on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

A plain, unassuming car, but very reliable overall. AWD is handy, esp. in ice/snow. Disappointing gas mileage for a 4 cyl. Cup holder an abject failure. Horizontally opposed 4 (get the 2.2, not the 2.5) is dated but very reliable. (Thank you, Dr. Porsche, for the concept). Auto. trans. is a balky Borg-Warner unit. Ugh. Shades of Rambler. Car is too low slung, but corners well. I installed a cut-out switch to select FWD or AWD, which helps with fuel economy. (Why did Subaru eliminate that feature?). One of those cars which, despite its faults, grows on you, and is a worthy ride. My next car will have to compensate for the Legacy's plain vanilla persona. Perhaps a Caprice Police Interceptor?

Winter beater that lasts
By classicbob on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought a 14 year old Legacy wagon last year as a winter beater, which i planned to keep until upgrade to a newer and better car in the spring. One year later I'm still looking for that 'better car' but haven't found it yet. This car has taken me cross country twice in the past year, over the Rocky mountains (strangely it got better gas mileage at high elevation), and plowed effortlessly through 18 inches of snow! I had to replace a front strut assembly after the coil spring broke around 180,000 miles. It doesn't like to hold its idle speed, not sure what the problem is. And the 'check engine' light keeps popping up, common problem it seems. Otherwise it's great, best car i've ever bought!

Fantastic Daily Driver!
By n2vdubz on 09/04/09 18:03 PM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon LS 4dr Wagon AWD

I was handed down my '95 Subaru Wagon from my father. The Suby' currently has 231,000 miles on the odometer at the moment and has been virtually problem free. Great in snow, just push the gas and it takes off with no tire slippage. My tranny thunks a little bit sometimes when it kicks into second gear, but with this many miles on the car, it's understandable. I keep up with its regularly scheduled oil changes, and have even gone over a few 1000 miles before. The Subaru continues to run smoothly and efficiently. Just had some maintenance work done to her in order to pass my state inspection. My mechanic said the car looks excellent underneath and I should hold onto it. I plan on it.

So long my Subaru
By amy on 07/15/08 19:22 PM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I just had an accident with my 95, and the insurance company has chosen to total it, but I will really miss it, and look forward to my next Subaru. With 124,000 miles, it still got 28-30 mpg on the highway, could hold an amazing amount of cargo, and was great in the snow. Sure, it leaked a little oil like most old Subies, but not enough to have to add any. Had some wind noise around the driver's door, and no mechanic could ever figure out the vibration that happened between 60 & 80 mph, but nothing that made me regret buying it. It's a great practical car.

Expensive fixes!
By Ryan on 06/24/08 21:22 PM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon Brighton 4dr Wagon AWD

It is a great car, but stay away from anything from the mid-west or north-east. The fuel filler neck will rot away, the tank will leak (which requires the disassembly of the whole back end to remove and replace) Stay away from automatics not reliable . The doors will rot away with the brake lines. The exhaust system is among the most costly to replace of any mass-produced vehicle(2 catalytic converters a mid-pipe resonator, and an expensive muffler. Seals and timing belt, etc. is a must after 100,000. Stay away from the 2.5 unless it already had the head gasket replaced.Th The 2.2 is the champ. I have put over $4000 in this vehicle since i bought it last year. Not an economy fix

Super Reliable 1995 Subaru Wagon
By BlueBaru on 07/07/07 03:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I'm the original and sole owner of my 1995 Legacy L wagon. As of July 07 it has 125000 miles and is going strong. Three years ago I bought a 2nd, newer Subaru thinking I'd sell the '95 after another winter. Well, I'm still attached to it because it's just SO reliable. Engine needed new oil gaskets at about 95000 mi, that's about it. It's a 5 speed manual with original clutch. Changed oil and rotated tires every 5000 milies and the car stays happy. Like other reviewers, my gas gauge is weird... use the trip odometer. Car still gets ~26 mi to gallon.

Great Car!
By My Baby! on 06/20/07 00:02 AM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car used in 2002, drove like a brand new car and continued to perform and handle like new with routine maintenance and care. All standard and optional features continued to perform as new - rear window defrost and wipers, cruise control, audio, auto locks, mirror adjust, air conditioning, everything!

best cars
By summer on 02/14/06 17:09 PM (PST)

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this car with 120K miles on it. Now it has 160K and is still running strong. It does excellent in the snow, and we have only had to do the regular maintenance on it. Had a '92 Subaru wagon before this one with 180k that was still going strong with no problems until it got totaled. Unfortunately, the wagons will not fit 3 car seats in the back, so we have to search, very reluctantly, for something else. We will dearly miss our Subarus! Interior has held up well, with 3 kids and a dog and numerous camping trips. Speedometer does some weird tricks. Hauls 3 bikes, a rocketbox, and snowboards easily on top. Mechanically exceptionally sound. Where is the Subaru minivan?

I loved this car!
By Missing my Subaru on 02/02/06 16:20 PM (PST)

1995 Subaru Legacy Wagon LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this car with 56,000 miles on it in 2002 and have loved it very much. It drives well in all weather, can take a beating from out rough lifestyle, and cleaned up nicely to fit in when we had go to the city. It was very reliable and was well built. We had put about 149,000 miles on it as of Jan. 2006 when it was squished on the highway. The anti-lock brakes where great because it got stopped to avoid the collision ahead (only 4 feet to spare); too bad the Dodge truck behind it could not stop that well. At the time of the accident it was running like a champ and we expected to have it for a long time to come. Hope I can find another one!