Used 1995 Subaru Legacy LSi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

472000 and its still tuggin along
By joepuff

1995 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my first car I bought and I gotta admit it is pretty sweet to drive, Very reliable in the snow as some people have already said. You'd think this car with 472k km on it would run like crap but with High octane gas man this thing goes pretty good. I'd recommend this car to anyone.

Winter beater that lasts
By classicbob

1995 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought a 14 year old Legacy wagon last year as a winter beater, which i planned to keep until upgrade to a newer and better car in the spring. One year later I'm still looking for that 'better car' but haven't found it yet. This car has taken me cross country twice in the past year, over the Rocky mountains (strangely it got better gas mileage at high elevation), and plowed effortlessly through 18 inches of snow! I had to replace a front strut assembly after the coil spring broke around 180,000 miles. It doesn't like to hold its idle speed, not sure what the problem is. And the 'check engine' light keeps popping up, common problem it seems. Otherwise it's great, best car i've ever bought!

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the amazing AWD that gets me through everything. Fuel economy and reliability, other than the strut and maintenance, it hasn't needed anything!

Suggested Improvements

like the other commentaries, cup holder is in a stupid place, and the headlights should be a brighter. Automatic transmission doesn't always shift as smoothly as i'd like. More ground clearance would be nice too, so I'm thinking the only car I'd replace this with is an Outback.

I loved this car!
By Missing my Subaru

1995 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this car with 56,000 miles on it in 2002 and have loved it very much. It drives well in all weather, can take a beating from out rough lifestyle, and cleaned up nicely to fit in when we had go to the city. It was very reliable and was well built. We had put about 149,000 miles on it as of Jan. 2006 when it was squished on the highway. The anti-lock brakes where great because it got stopped to avoid the collision ahead (only 4 feet to spare); too bad the Dodge truck behind it could not stop that well. At the time of the accident it was running like a champ and we expected to have it for a long time to come. Hope I can find another one!

Favorite Features

Handling, leather seats (easy to clean), reliability, good gas mileage (22-26 mpg depending if Rocket box was on top) and go anywhere attitude. She had snow up to her windows once (~2.5' to 3'); I dug out my door, crawled in, and back out through 5' of deep snow to the plowed parking area with ease.

Suggested Improvements

Headlights are not bright enough. Could drive with brights on and only get flashed ever once in a while. Gas gauge had started to act up but who really need a gas gauge.

incredible all-around car!
By T Wilson

1995 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

We have owned the car for almost a year. Bought it over eBay, and are very pleased. The AWD system is almost flawless (could use locking differentials), and gets where most cars only dream of going in the winter. The 2.2L engine has adequate power - go for a newer GT with the 2.5L if you want more. Love the luggage space, back seat room, front seat room, etc. Factory Panasonic CD with tweeters in the door sounds great, but needs a little more low-end. The ride and handling is great - Subaru's heritage in rally racing pays off with long-travel suspension that soaks up any road imperfection!

Favorite Features

The All Wheel Drive kicks! I never want to buy a car without it. It leaves all the other cars behind spinning their tires on the ice. I love the look, the ride, the handling, the safety, etc. I love the whole car!

Suggested Improvements

The LSI could use the adjustable lumbar support from the GT, a little less wind noise would be nice, locking differentials would be great in the snow. Not much to improve on, and what there could be was done on the newer (2000 and up) models.

best car EVER
By dinogirl

1995 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

I got my 95 Legacy LSi wagon in 1997 with 28k miles on him. Sadly, he was totaled while parked in Apr 2004 with 110k miles. Honestly, this is the best car ever. NC, NY, CT, CA: this car handled all weather types perfectly, and he was the King of Tahoe and San Fran. No major unscheduled repairs. The leather interior was in great shape even after 10 years. Gas mileage never went below 25 on the highway. Loved blowing by the SUVs that were stuck on the nasty Tahoe roads. My mechanic said he expected the car to last for 300k miles, and I had every intention of keeping him that long. Now I just have to decide which one of his relatives to buy next!

Favorite Features

AWD (great in all sorts of bad weather), sunroof, overall styling (inside and out). Safety and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Gas gague went out on me. Could have a bit more power, but drove REALLY well on the highway to the mountains.