1995 Subaru Legacy Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1995 Legacy Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Sort Reviews by

First car, first love!
By sb_sweetie

1995 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

The '95 was the first year of the Outback, which was really nothing more than a Legacy Wagon with two-tone paint and more rugged interior. I absolutely loved this car. I drove it on many a long road-trip. It was perfect (snow, desert, city traffic). Crank shaft sensor needed to be replaced, but that's about it in 10 years of ownership. Completely reliable. I'm almost sad that I moved on (to a 2005 Outback), but I wanted side-curtain airbags because now I have a child. I had the manual 5-speed. This car never let me down.

Favorite Features

Reliability, hill-holder (not available on my new 2005 model), plenty of space, durable upholstery, did I mention reliability?!

Suggested Improvements

Air vents seem to always blow warm/hot air unless the a/c is on. Cupholder placement was annoying, but livable.

Best cars ever!!!
By snowbunny86

1995 Subaru Legacy Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I have not a single complaint about this car. It did it's job and did it very well! I never worried about it leaving me stranded going any distance in any weather conditions. It went on cross country trips, in the woods (on and off trails!) and did great! Spent its entire life in the Rocky Mountains. It held up like a champ, till the last few months I had it. At 180K I had to replace the alternator and then the keyway on the crankshaft broke. Some JB weld and she was going again. Then a solenoid in the tranny was bad causing the AWD to have problems, i,e. wheels dragging when wheel turned tightly. I sold it for next to nothing at 185,000. Still miss it soo much!! Can't wait to get another!!

Favorite Features

AWD/ABS, cargo room, sunroof, seats, cupholders, control placement, overall layout of entire car.

Suggested Improvements

Almost all of the things were fixed in the following years (higher ground clearence, horn placement, double moonroofs, bigger motors). Can't say anything bad about the car I loved it!