1995 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews

1995 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Subaru Country
By jayb10 on 10/18/14 20:38 PM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought my 95 LS AWD wagon in 2007 w/ 117K. Needed a cheap car that I could carry liability only due to a DUI. This little beauty was a trade-in that I got off the back lot before it was detailed and pumped through the $$ machine they call the service department. I live in Central Oregon (Bend) home of the oldest Subaru dealer in the West (they say) Lot's of snow and mountains. I now have 189K on this 'temporary' car, 7 years later. Every so often I change the oil. Replaced alternator, battery, starter and a few light bulbs over the years. A bread truck backed into me and I now have a free car after getting a check for the damage that 'gives it character'. I do have a nice ML320, but

Deathwagon
By pinkspider on 09/27/13 17:37 PM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan AWD

I called my Subaru a Deathwagon for a GOOD reason- It could handle ANYTHING I put it through. I drove my ninja to the ground (rarely did repairs & oil) and he still kept going strong. The only thing that stopped him was being T-boned, which bent the frame, and insurance totaled him out. His body died at 18 years old, but the engine (about 185,000) is going strong in another Subie :) I drove 40mph in HARSH Utah ice &snow storms. While every other car was pulling over, my Subaru handled every slip and slide with grace. I can't explain what this fantastic vehicle and I went through, as I am a very aggressive driver- car chases, sidewalks, fields, bicyclists, long road trips, barriers, etc.

Oldie but goodie
By katie2012 on 11/20/12 10:14 AM (PST)

1995 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan AWD

My boyfriend bought me a 1995 Subaru LS AWD Sedan. I was scared at first because it's an old car (about as old as I am) but it is amazing. It has prooven me wrong! It's great in the winter (especially needed in CNY)!

472000 and its still tuggin along
By joepuff on 04/10/12 17:36 PM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my first car I bought and I gotta admit it is pretty sweet to drive, Very reliable in the snow as some people have already said. You'd think this car with 472k km on it would run like crap but with High octane gas man this thing goes pretty good. I'd recommend this car to anyone.

Reliable, But Not Very Sharp
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought my Subaru in April, 2009. It's very reliable and I am able to get anywhere I want, when I want. It drives great in the snow. It's built very solid, which most cars these days are not. I would recommend this car to any new drivers. It is a really tough car!

Wallflower
By sagebrush on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

A plain, unassuming car, but very reliable overall. AWD is handy, esp. in ice/snow. Disappointing gas mileage for a 4 cyl. Cup holder an abject failure. Horizontally opposed 4 (get the 2.2, not the 2.5) is dated but very reliable. (Thank you, Dr. Porsche, for the concept). Auto. trans. is a balky Borg-Warner unit. Ugh. Shades of Rambler. Car is too low slung, but corners well. I installed a cut-out switch to select FWD or AWD, which helps with fuel economy. (Why did Subaru eliminate that feature?). One of those cars which, despite its faults, grows on you, and is a worthy ride. My next car will have to compensate for the Legacy's plain vanilla persona. Perhaps a Caprice Police Interceptor?

Winter beater that lasts
By classicbob on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought a 14 year old Legacy wagon last year as a winter beater, which i planned to keep until upgrade to a newer and better car in the spring. One year later I'm still looking for that 'better car' but haven't found it yet. This car has taken me cross country twice in the past year, over the Rocky mountains (strangely it got better gas mileage at high elevation), and plowed effortlessly through 18 inches of snow! I had to replace a front strut assembly after the coil spring broke around 180,000 miles. It doesn't like to hold its idle speed, not sure what the problem is. And the 'check engine' light keeps popping up, common problem it seems. Otherwise it's great, best car i've ever bought!

300,000 miles and still going
By cavenut on 09/03/10 03:12 AM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Sedan AWD

Well it hit 300,000 miles this year. I converted it to Mobil one full synthetic extended mileage oil from day one. Auto transmission stopped backing up at 250,000 replaced with junk yard transmission which has a strange noise in it, but has held together for the last 80,000 miles. These cars are indestructible. They just rust away. Side note, I drove a 1988 to 480,000 miles, finally rusted in two and couldn't get it through a wv state inspection, or I would still be driving it the 2.2 L engines are the gest Subaru ever made. Bill

My first car
By abbott911 on 10/30/09 07:27 AM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in May of this year and I already love it. I figured I would end up regretting it when all my friends have trucks and they went out into the wood wheeling, but I don't because I can get that car places they cant get their trucks. And the shame in their faces when my Subaru has to pull there Chevy 1500 with a 383 stroker out of a ditch is the best thing ever. This car surprises me everyday with the things it will do. This is the fastest quickest best sounding simple stock 4cyl I have seen. The only things I have done to it are eliminate one of the cats and put a glass pack on it to give it that Subaru boxer sound. The awd is amazing, I lovethis car.

One Awesome Car!
By Jeremyfromtheboonies on 10/25/09 08:55 AM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

I bought my Subaru back in April with near 140k on it. I was very skeptical about this, but then I started to look at these reviews and realized that these are one of the best cars out there! It has never given me trouble and now it has 148k miles on it. Very happy with this car, would most definitely buy another.