Used 1994 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1994 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

I miss my Legacy!
By Strawberryeve

1994 Subaru Legacy Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought this car as an interim ride until I could get something newer. Car was not taken care of well by prior owner with interior falling apart and lots of body damage. To my surprise this was my most favorite car. I was forced to get rid of it in 2003 when I moved and have regretted it ever since. AWD is a dream in Northeastern winters. Only had to replace the alternator otherwise this thing was a tank - I even broke her axle and she still drove like a dream! I felt safe in this peppy little car.

Favorite Features

Handling, All Wheel Drive, Reliability

Old Reliable
By morin2

1994 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I bought this car & drove it for nearly a year before selling it to my teenage son - his first car & he wanted to pay for it. Easy car to learn maintenance. He has had it for last 2 years of HS & first 2 years of college. Now has 144K miles, uses no oil between oil changes and still runs fine. I think this was a good choice for a first car. Its FWD-only, so gets good fuel economy ~28/29mpg. Only problem has been with axles, exhaust, and brakes - all routine stuff to expect on a car of this age. A/C has recently stopped blowing cold but he doesn't care. Nice size roof for aftermarket Thule racks and attachments that are now worth more than the car itself - easy to load bikes onto roof racks.

Favorite Features

The 2.2 motor is great. 94 Subaru is more fun to drive than my boring 02 Prizm. Easy routine maintenance. Big trunk. Airbag for new driver.

Suggested Improvements

of course, the cupholders. wheel wells collect dirt/mud & if debris is not removed, typically rust at same location at back of wheel wells.

The Best Car Ever!
By Roger122387

1994 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

This has been the best car ever and my 2nd Subaru. Before I had a '92 and had no problems with it at 180,000. This year, I have taken this car (with 180,000 miles) all the way to Cancun, Mexico and back up to Texas and then taken several trips to North Carolina and around the U.S. There is no other 1994 year car that I would trust to do that. I couldn't ask for a better car and I love it to death! I would definitely buy another one of the 92-94 style. Would like to try the new Legacy but have heard they are not as reliable as the early 90's. My transmission seems to be slipping a little and a couple of the speed odometer lights have gone out but that's it! Seems great other than that!

Favorite Features

Sporty design, fold down back seats, the "manual" button on gear shift, easy to work on engine.

Suggested Improvements

Make the seats more comfortable, have framed windows (this causes a lot of air noises).

Good first car for teenager
By morin2

1994 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I bought this 10 year old car for my son's first car and drove it for a few months to work while getting it fixed upfor him -new timing belt, drive belts,exhaust, water pump, fluids. Nice drive, getting up to 32mpg on my highway commute. He bought it from mea nd is learning to care for it now butonly gets 22-23 mpg locally. Advantages for a new driver: easy to drive, slow, logical displays/switches, reliable,safe with driver airbag, liability-onlyinsurance lower than his friends' newMustang GT insurance (what were thoseparents thinking?). The 94 is the lastof the "square" (easy to view corners) Legacies, first year 134A. Large, useful trunk. More comfortable than Civic or Corolla.

Favorite Features

Easiest "modern" car for routine maintenance due to normal orientation offlat-4 for plugs, front oil filter &drain plug, easy fuel filter & airfilter. Really haven't had anything this easy to work on since the 1960's. No torque steer as half-shafts are equal lengths. Nice predictable handling.

Suggested Improvements

Sensible cup-holders.Hey Subaru, how about a cheaper new "stripped" Legacy without AWD or powerwindows /sunroof/cruise etc. for those of us who want simple cars. Otherwise, I'll keep an eye out for another nice base "stripped" 94 L.

Exceeded My Expectations
By driving_rev

1994 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I just sold this car, a full four years later than I had anticipated. When I bought it in '96 the goal was to get four good years out of it and then purchase another used car. Subaru deserves credit for giving us eight good years with this high quality, dependable car. The engine is a powerful Quad 4 and the luxuries inside the car make it a joy to drive. I have always liked the looks of the '94 in particular, with their stainless steel door handles, one of those little things that make a certain car unique. Don't ever overlook a Subaru. They are one of the most reliable cars on the road and a great buy in used cars.