1994 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Old Reliable
By morin2 on 07/27/08 14:37 PM (PDT)

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

I bought this car & drove it for nearly a year before selling it to my teenage son - his first car & he wanted to pay for it. Easy car to learn maintenance. He has had it for last 2 years of HS & first 2 years of college. Now has 144K miles, uses no oil between oil changes and still runs fine. I think this was a good choice for a first car. Its FWD-only, so gets good fuel economy ~28/29mpg. Only problem has been with axles, exhaust, and brakes - all routine stuff to expect on a car of this age. A/C has recently stopped blowing cold but he doesn't care. Nice size roof for aftermarket Thule racks and attachments that are now worth more than the car itself - easy to load bikes onto roof racks.

The Best Car Ever!
By Roger122387 on 09/22/06 11:58 AM (PDT)

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

This has been the best car ever and my 2nd Subaru. Before I had a '92 and had no problems with it at 180,000. This year, I have taken this car (with 180,000 miles) all the way to Cancun, Mexico and back up to Texas and then taken several trips to North Carolina and around the U.S. There is no other 1994 year car that I would trust to do that. I couldn't ask for a better car and I love it to death! I would definitely buy another one of the 92-94 style. Would like to try the new Legacy but have heard they are not as reliable as the early 90's. My transmission seems to be slipping a little and a couple of the speed odometer lights have gone out but that's it! Seems great other than that!

Good first car for teenager
By morin2 on 01/15/05 16:01 PM (PST)

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

I bought this 10 year old car for my son's first car and drove it for a few months to work while getting it fixed upfor him -new timing belt, drive belts,exhaust, water pump, fluids. Nice drive, getting up to 32mpg on my highway commute. He bought it from mea nd is learning to care for it now butonly gets 22-23 mpg locally. Advantages for a new driver: easy to drive, slow, logical displays/switches, reliable,safe with driver airbag, liability-onlyinsurance lower than his friends' newMustang GT insurance (what were thoseparents thinking?). The 94 is the lastof the "square" (easy to view corners) Legacies, first year 134A. Large, useful trunk. More comfortable than Civic or Corolla.

Exceeded My Expectations
By driving_rev on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

I just sold this car, a full four years later than I had anticipated. When I bought it in '96 the goal was to get four good years out of it and then purchase another used car. Subaru deserves credit for giving us eight good years with this high quality, dependable car. The engine is a powerful Quad 4 and the luxuries inside the car make it a joy to drive. I have always liked the looks of the '94 in particular, with their stainless steel door handles, one of those little things that make a certain car unique. Don't ever overlook a Subaru. They are one of the most reliable cars on the road and a great buy in used cars.

My 94 Legacy keeps going and going and..
By mlw on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

This car rolls on & on... the most reliable car I've had next to my old Volvo 240. I think Subaru should get more kudos for building rock-solid cars that function so well. Quality in every component... and the styling still looks OK almost 10 years later. I will drive this car until it dies.

My Subaru
By Dave_2 on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

I love my car, there are only 3 things I don't like about it. 1 - the cupholder was put in the stupidest place in the world. 2 - I got the automatic. 3 - Mine's not AWD, you should really look into the AWD. Other than those 3 things, (2 of which I chose) the car is awsome. It has never left me down or had anything be break. Hopefully I can make it to 200,000 with no big problems.

100 percent reliable
By Paulphin on 12/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

There's really nothing fancy about this car. But, in 104,000 miles I've not even had to replace a lightbulb. Oil changes every 4000-7000 miles, brake pads, battery and tires. These cars hold there value because they're very well made. Doesn't run like a Porsche but it will get you there safely and reliably. I just can't justify getting rid of the thing...it feels like throwing money away to get somthing more exotic. Did tint the windows and put Impreza WRX sport wheels on it. Not flashy but really, nice looking. Pics sent to you if you're thinking about the same. Paul

'94 Subaru Legacy L
By AndrewA. on 10/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

Very reliable sedan, even after being smashed into it still drives well. Performance is very lacking and so is the styling, but it's a fine car for a highschool/college person and will get you around without problems.