1994 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Subie Has Outdone Herself!
By LoveYouSubie on 06/14/10 16:25 PM (PDT)

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

16 yo car w 240,000 miles and just recently we decided to just let her go. It makes me super sad because my parents bought her brand new! New computer in 2005 or so, up until about 2007 there were pretty much NO major problems besides that, other things that have broken since then include some sensors that make the check engine light stay on, brakes more than once, rear struts are completely shot, exhaust needs to be replaced, seat belt mechanism came out of the track, multifunction switch failed after getting a new ignition so the dashboard lights don't work, pass. side window wont roll up without help, rear hatch handle is cracked and breaking. By far the worst thing is the struts.

Go-anywhere tank
By Otter on 04/11/10 10:38 AM (PDT)

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Legacy Ti Outdoor Wagon new in 1994 and have been the sole driver. I put a lot of upstate NY winter miles on it, and warmer climate too, it's over 200,000 miles now and still going. No engine trouble ever. Replaced some CV joints a few times, brakes and clutch once, heater core once. Air suspension was the only part with high maintenance needs; while useful it's understandable why they discontinued that. Performance + mpg have both always been better than sticker. Minor ergonomic issues with the interior. Cost doesn't justify major repairs at this point but I'm keeping it until it falls apart. Nothing made today could replace it's utility, fun, and reliability under $50K.

I miss my Legacy!
By Strawberryeve on 05/30/09 00:12 AM (PDT)

1994 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought this car as an interim ride until I could get something newer. Car was not taken care of well by prior owner with interior falling apart and lots of body damage. To my surprise this was my most favorite car. I was forced to get rid of it in 2003 when I moved and have regretted it ever since. AWD is a dream in Northeastern winters. Only had to replace the alternator otherwise this thing was a tank - I even broke her axle and she still drove like a dream! I felt safe in this peppy little car.

Excellent Wagon
By Renaldo on 09/28/08 07:50 AM (PDT)

1994 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Wagon AWD

We've owned this car for over five years. It has been excellent. In slick road conditions, it is a true champion with AWD. It is as reliable as any car I've had (which includes several Toyotas). It handles better than other wagon owned (Volvo, Toyota). There are many of these vehicles still on the road. This one has 130,000 miles on it, which is low. There are many with >200,000. If you can find and buy one in good shape that has been well taken care of, you will have a versatile and reliable vehicle that will not be flashy, but will get you everywhere you wish to go at anytime for a very long time.

Old Reliable
By morin2 on 07/27/08 14:37 PM (PDT)

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

I bought this car & drove it for nearly a year before selling it to my teenage son - his first car & he wanted to pay for it. Easy car to learn maintenance. He has had it for last 2 years of HS & first 2 years of college. Now has 144K miles, uses no oil between oil changes and still runs fine. I think this was a good choice for a first car. Its FWD-only, so gets good fuel economy ~28/29mpg. Only problem has been with axles, exhaust, and brakes - all routine stuff to expect on a car of this age. A/C has recently stopped blowing cold but he doesn't care. Nice size roof for aftermarket Thule racks and attachments that are now worth more than the car itself - easy to load bikes onto roof racks.

Never GOT STUCK
By VIDARFLASH on 02/19/07 19:30 PM (PST)

1994 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Wagon AWD

This was an all around good car, ran well in all weather, could switch from FWD to AWD by replacing fuse under hood. Had u-seal problems though - front l/r cv boots ripped, front l/r struts went bad, muffler rusted out and fell off. Bought with high mileage -168k, ran for 21k more, took it cross country twice, spent $150.00 in repairs, body not that great -a lot of rust.

The Best Car Ever!
By Roger122387 on 09/22/06 11:58 AM (PDT)

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

This has been the best car ever and my 2nd Subaru. Before I had a '92 and had no problems with it at 180,000. This year, I have taken this car (with 180,000 miles) all the way to Cancun, Mexico and back up to Texas and then taken several trips to North Carolina and around the U.S. There is no other 1994 year car that I would trust to do that. I couldn't ask for a better car and I love it to death! I would definitely buy another one of the 92-94 style. Would like to try the new Legacy but have heard they are not as reliable as the early 90's. My transmission seems to be slipping a little and a couple of the speed odometer lights have gone out but that's it! Seems great other than that!

Solid, Dependable, Great in Snow
By Brownie on 01/11/06 21:06 PM (PST)

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

This car has been very good to me. Will be hard to give it up. Solid, dependable. Has got me through some rough winters and sand in the summers. Not high luxury but comfortable, practical. Great value.

Good first car for teenager
By morin2 on 01/15/05 16:01 PM (PST)

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

I bought this 10 year old car for my son's first car and drove it for a few months to work while getting it fixed upfor him -new timing belt, drive belts,exhaust, water pump, fluids. Nice drive, getting up to 32mpg on my highway commute. He bought it from mea nd is learning to care for it now butonly gets 22-23 mpg locally. Advantages for a new driver: easy to drive, slow, logical displays/switches, reliable,safe with driver airbag, liability-onlyinsurance lower than his friends' newMustang GT insurance (what were thoseparents thinking?). The 94 is the lastof the "square" (easy to view corners) Legacies, first year 134A. Large, useful trunk. More comfortable than Civic or Corolla.

Exceeded My Expectations
By driving_rev on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

I just sold this car, a full four years later than I had anticipated. When I bought it in '96 the goal was to get four good years out of it and then purchase another used car. Subaru deserves credit for giving us eight good years with this high quality, dependable car. The engine is a powerful Quad 4 and the luxuries inside the car make it a joy to drive. I have always liked the looks of the '94 in particular, with their stainless steel door handles, one of those little things that make a certain car unique. Don't ever overlook a Subaru. They are one of the most reliable cars on the road and a great buy in used cars.