Used 1994 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Subie Has Outdone Herself!
By LoveYouSubie

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

16 yo car w 240,000 miles and just recently we decided to just let her go. It makes me super sad because my parents bought her brand new! New computer in 2005 or so, up until about 2007 there were pretty much NO major problems besides that, other things that have broken since then include some sensors that make the check engine light stay on, brakes more than once, rear struts are completely shot, exhaust needs to be replaced, seat belt mechanism came out of the track, multifunction switch failed after getting a new ignition so the dashboard lights don't work, pass. side window wont roll up without help, rear hatch handle is cracked and breaking. By far the worst thing is the struts.

Favorite Features

THE SPACE! Holy cow you can fit a lot in there. Lasted a really long time! She'd keep running if we fixed up all the problems but it's just not worth it to us SORRY SUBIE! <3 We will hopefully give her a new home and a new life with a mechanic. A very good car to learn manual transmission on.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders and not having a CD player but I know these things have been changed since 1994. :) The Subaru dealership here lost my business in the repairs dept because they tried to deceive me with the "coincidentally unrelated" failure of a switch when my ignition was replaced. BS

Go-anywhere tank
By Otter

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Legacy Ti Outdoor Wagon new in 1994 and have been the sole driver. I put a lot of upstate NY winter miles on it, and warmer climate too, it's over 200,000 miles now and still going. No engine trouble ever. Replaced some CV joints a few times, brakes and clutch once, heater core once. Air suspension was the only part with high maintenance needs; while useful it's understandable why they discontinued that. Performance + mpg have both always been better than sticker. Minor ergonomic issues with the interior. Cost doesn't justify major repairs at this point but I'm keeping it until it falls apart. Nothing made today could replace it's utility, fun, and reliability under $50K.

Favorite Features

Responsive and rock-solid H4 engine, safety features, roomy cargo area. Air suspension utility for off-paved road use. Easy access to almost all user-serviceable parts (except heater core) for even semi-skilled home mechanics.

Suggested Improvements

Cheaper repairs and/or higher long- term reliability for air suspension. Easier removal of dashboard to replace lights, heater core. Move cup holders out of way of radio. Separate recirculate and AC buttons rather than single Max AC button.

I miss my Legacy!
By Strawberryeve

1994 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Sedan AWD

Bought this car as an interim ride until I could get something newer. Car was not taken care of well by prior owner with interior falling apart and lots of body damage. To my surprise this was my most favorite car. I was forced to get rid of it in 2003 when I moved and have regretted it ever since. AWD is a dream in Northeastern winters. Only had to replace the alternator otherwise this thing was a tank - I even broke her axle and she still drove like a dream! I felt safe in this peppy little car.

Favorite Features

Handling, All Wheel Drive, Reliability

Excellent Wagon
By Renaldo

1994 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Wagon AWD

We've owned this car for over five years. It has been excellent. In slick road conditions, it is a true champion with AWD. It is as reliable as any car I've had (which includes several Toyotas). It handles better than other wagon owned (Volvo, Toyota). There are many of these vehicles still on the road. This one has 130,000 miles on it, which is low. There are many with >200,000. If you can find and buy one in good shape that has been well taken care of, you will have a versatile and reliable vehicle that will not be flashy, but will get you everywhere you wish to go at anytime for a very long time.

Favorite Features

AWD

Suggested Improvements

The car is a 15 years old design. Any suggestions at this point will not make a difference.

Old Reliable
By morin2

1994 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

I bought this car & drove it for nearly a year before selling it to my teenage son - his first car & he wanted to pay for it. Easy car to learn maintenance. He has had it for last 2 years of HS & first 2 years of college. Now has 144K miles, uses no oil between oil changes and still runs fine. I think this was a good choice for a first car. Its FWD-only, so gets good fuel economy ~28/29mpg. Only problem has been with axles, exhaust, and brakes - all routine stuff to expect on a car of this age. A/C has recently stopped blowing cold but he doesn't care. Nice size roof for aftermarket Thule racks and attachments that are now worth more than the car itself - easy to load bikes onto roof racks.

Favorite Features

The 2.2 motor is great. 94 Subaru is more fun to drive than my boring 02 Prizm. Easy routine maintenance. Big trunk. Airbag for new driver.

Suggested Improvements

of course, the cupholders. wheel wells collect dirt/mud & if debris is not removed, typically rust at same location at back of wheel wells.