Used 1993 Subaru Legacy Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1993 Subaru Legacy

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

My Used Suberu
By Legacy

1993 Subaru Legacy LSi 4dr Sedan AWD

My son gave me his 1993 Subaru Legacy because it would not always start in the cold weather. He had taken it off the road for several years and all I did was put a battery in it and it started right up. It did burn out the fusible link every time I tried to jump start it, and I had to make my own to replace it as no one had one. I still occasionally have a problem starting it in the winter and for no apparent reason, thus the low reliability rating, but it is a fun little car to drive and I like it a lot.

I like its initial acceleration, it shifts smoothly, steers like a sports car and it comfortable.

I realize that it is not a new car by any means, but I am starting to have trouble with the door locks.

Very good car
By Torontonian

1993 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan AWD

Love this car. Bought it for 5000 CAD with 150 k km on it in 2003. 240 k now. Loves gas. Still runs better than a new Toyota Echo. The ABS went two years ago while fighting snow to go to work. I don't feel I want it back. Two accidents, one my fault, the others were totaled. I got a light pop out first time and the other light broken on the seccond. And scratches. Even the cops were in awe to see the car is drivable, not to mention he other drivers. Otherwise, I take almost good care of it. Changed both fenders. A garage put me a rebuilt water pump. Went in one year. I bought a new one and installed at home on the driveway. Easy to work on it compared to others. I'll keep it till the end.

Reliable, strong, trustworthy. AWD.

He, he. Too late for any. And I cannot afford a new one.

Tough overall, some weak points
By martes

1993 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan

Got it used from a friend back in 2000 with 78K miles, now has 152 k on it. Great engine, no problem tranny, fantastic ignition, never failed to start in coldest Chicago and Boston winters, nor does it fail in the hot humid Miami summers. Drive 500 miles a week, including nonstop 160 mile trips. Nice smooth ride. Okay, problems - ABS unit cracked back in 2002. Slow leak of brake fluid requires refilling either every week or once a month. CV joints chronic. Other stuff maintenance based.

Strong engine, 2.2 liters, yet easy 31 mpg (highway).

Brake system. While ABS malfunction does not affect brake system as the manual indicates, still, the brake fluid leaks from the unit, thereby needing replenishment periodicaly, as frequent as weekly. Replacing the ABS is not worth it on this old car, unless one can find on in a junkyard.

Built to last.
By Gary

1993 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

I just got this car this month and it runs great. It has over 205,000 miles on it and I believe it's the original engine. I put some marine carb cleaner in there (the real good stuff), and four new platinum head plugs and it's now a stud. My car is kind of a Frankenstein. It has a 95 tranny and bits and pieces from other Suburbs. So far so good. Many parts were replaced on this right hand drive model, as rural mail routes, constant starting and stopping, are rough on all cars. I had the timing belt, water pump, and thermostat replaced. The head seals are fine. It goes up hills easily. Surprisingly fast. Faster than my Accord.

Right hand drive option. Middle shifter. Good cargo room. Foldable seats. Comfortable buckets seats. Good power. Easy to work on for the most part. Smooth on highway. Fun to drive. Four cylinder good on gas with today's high prices.

Hard to get in and out of. Cupholder is over stereo. Too low to the ground. Some spark plugs hard to get at. Loud at idle but smooth. Too many controls on the steering column twisters. Rusts easily. Steering wheel wont lock in up position which is really frustrating for big guys. Inside width.

Awesome
By Daniel Widenhouse

1993 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

This is the most awesome car ever. I get 32 miles to the gallon around town and even more on the highway. This is a very ergonomic car and very user friendly with good visibility and well placed buttons. More power than a Honda Accord.

Very cold air conditioning.

Change the factory hubcaps. They look like old people hubcaps.