The best little car I've owned yet.
By G. on
1992 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan
I bought my Subaru used back in 2002 with a little over 100k miles on it, drove it to about 170k miles. It never left me stranded on the side of the road, and only required basic maintenance - water pump @ 125k, a couple CV joints, plugs and wires @ 150k, alternator and battery @ 160k. I just sold it - and made back half what I paid for it 5 years ago. Yearly, I probably spent about $300-$500 on maintenance, which is excellent for a 10-16 year old vehicle. I absolutely got my money's worth on this car - and then some.
Favorite Features
Reliability is absolutely its best feature. Secondly, maintenance is a breeze. Everything is totally accessible from the fuel and oil filters to the belts and alternator. Third, it's a pretty enjoyable car to drive, a smooth ride, and feels much like a Honda Accord, only at a fraction of the price.
Suggested Improvements
The paint job on mine was miserable, the clear coat was gone when I bought it. The cupholders are too small and poorly placed. Would be nice if back seats would fold down. And tilt steering would have been a definite bonus. Trivial inconveniences, really, but would be an improvement nonetheless.