1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1992 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

1992 Legacy Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
New opinion of foreign cars!
By Frank

1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon

I used to believe all foreign cars were junk. But i got this car for 700 out of desperation and could not be happier. Every time i go to do some work on it i am impressed with it's design. It is pushing 200,000 miles and the engine sounds great. I am incredibly impressed with the power that it's small 2.2 and automatic transmission have, and it is easy to control. I am getting around 25 mpg which is very impressive. Engine is small and very easy to work on (i pulled the crank pulley with out removing anything but the belts). It starts right away and will run all day long perfectly happy. I have even had the car loaded down with 5 full grown adults and i couldn't even tell. Very happy!

Favorite Features

Everything seems to have a back-up. Engine is easy to work on. Computer can tell when you want to put the peddle down and adjusts the engine and transmission for added power. minimal rust on under-body (was undercoated). Also fuel pump is accessible through cabin.

Suggested Improvements

As everyone says, cup holders. body panels are rusting away, and a weird quark where the front doors unlock when closed. Also keep an eye on crank pulley. mine somehow started to wobble and damage itself. and the scissor jack is kind of scary, but it works

Buy and Hold
By Legacy Fan

1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon

There is no other car manufacturer that gives me the same confidence as Subaru. My Toyotas only lasted 8 years. Buying new with a 5 year loan is not an issue. The car will last 10 years easily. Repairs have been ordinary over the 11 years owned. Smooth running and dependable to a fault. Front wheel drive only, it has performed well in all weather. This car has been an excellent value. Few if any could compare.

Favorite Features

Surprisingly powerful for an automatic. Great in snow and hums on the highway. Has always been the family car. With rear seats down, carries your Christmas tree INSIDE!

Suggested Improvements

Lower back still sore even with lumbar support after about 3 hours of straight driving. I'm 6'2". Radio volume hard to set comfortably for all passengers. Road noise and speaker placement I understand have been improved.