1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
The People's Car for snow country
By bait989 on 07/02/10 20:03 PM (PDT)

1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon LS 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought car for less than $1,000 because it needed wheels(+tires). Chassis has 200k miles, but newer engine has less than 100k miles. A/C is acting up, and I wish I had the 5 spd manual because the 4 spd auto is a dinosaur. Factory stereo was decent, but was showing age until I replaced it. Oodles of space, great fuel economy (for its weight), and amazing reliability (with proper care) have made this little car earn a place in my family :) (His name is Oliver). Just keep up on the tire alignments and the awd Subaru Legacy will deliver hundreds of thousands of miles going wherever you need to go.

New opinion of foreign cars!
By Frank on 06/13/10 00:46 AM (PDT)

1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon

I used to believe all foreign cars were junk. But i got this car for 700 out of desperation and could not be happier. Every time i go to do some work on it i am impressed with it's design. It is pushing 200,000 miles and the engine sounds great. I am incredibly impressed with the power that it's small 2.2 and automatic transmission have, and it is easy to control. I am getting around 25 mpg which is very impressive. Engine is small and very easy to work on (i pulled the crank pulley with out removing anything but the belts). It starts right away and will run all day long perfectly happy. I have even had the car loaded down with 5 full grown adults and i couldn't even tell. Very happy!

Never Quits
By browncoat on 03/05/10 11:24 AM (PST)

1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car from it's first owner with 200,000 miles on it. Now has over 250k and we've only had to replace the muffler, the harmonic balancer and the alternator - amazing for a car that's been around this long. "Reliable" doesn't even cover it! Couldn't ask for a better "get out of debt" car. Not very pretty after hitting a deer last winter, but one learns humility :).

Runs every day
By subaru owner 4 life on 11/21/09 20:05 PM (PST)

1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I got this car 3 years ago and it was from the first owner and had only 77,000 miles on it. Three years later, it now has 220,000 miles on it and still running. I've had to put in about $1000 in it every year, but that includes tires and other regular maintenance. I drive over 100 miles on most days and have taken it on long trips. It has always started up for me and has just been an all around awesome car for our family. Inside is roomy enough for my 6'4" husband, 5 year old, and 3 dogs. We have taken this car off-road several times and it's always made it. I have had to replace the struts twice and it's on it's way to get another set so we can still have it as a back-up car.

Incredible car
By RayD on 08/01/05 00:37 AM (PDT)

1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Hard to imagine a more suitable car for snow country. The AWD works flawlessly. Wife bought it new in '92, she bought a new Outback in '02 and the kids still drive this one. Maintenance is a snap. BUT has always pinged on regular gas - and only a few premiums work well so fuel costs are higher than they should be. Now my kids are fighting over who gets Mom's old car. It's peeling paint in a few spots, but still starts and runs very well. One of them will have a GREAT 2nd car.

Captured by Reliability
By DesireeM on 11/16/04 21:02 PM (PST)

1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Subu new in 92 after 6 months of research. It had everything I wanted (AWD, A/C, ABS, auto seat belt, etc.) including a reasonable price. Prior to this car, I used to toss my cars when the ashtrays got full, but something made me want to hold on to this one. Reliable, loads of space and has been peppy for a 4 banger.

great car!!!
By Lukyasha on 08/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon LS 4dr Wagon

bought the car 8 years old. Driven 120k already no major problem yet. Happy with it.

WoW
By flacke on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Got it with 80,000 miles. Now it has 220,000. Everything still works perfect. I deliver pizza and drive all over the western US on back roads to paddling put ins and trailheads. I used to live in Utah as well and it goes up in the snow like a champ. The engine is still strong and smooth. I've only changed the oil,filters,belts and plugs. I'm on my 3rd set of tires,2nd set of brake pads and shocks. The clutch must have been replaced before I bought it because it's still tight. Get a stick if you have the option for more pep. I sleep in back just like the other guy and I'm 6'3"!

Buy and Hold
By Legacy Fan on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon

There is no other car manufacturer that gives me the same confidence as Subaru. My Toyotas only lasted 8 years. Buying new with a 5 year loan is not an issue. The car will last 10 years easily. Repairs have been ordinary over the 11 years owned. Smooth running and dependable to a fault. Front wheel drive only, it has performed well in all weather. This car has been an excellent value. Few if any could compare.

The Birthright, my Legacy
By tegu77 on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Subaru Legacy Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I love the AWD and true utility of my wagon. I have had it for almost 3 years and just passed 150K miles, It had 88K when I got it. I've climbed most of the UT Mountains with it, and commute to work 75 miles a day. The car knows its own way to Las Vegas and Yellowstone! It has always starts and never given me any trouble, after 3 years hard use.