Used 1992 Subaru Legacy L Sedan Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1992 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

The best little car I've owned yet.
By G.

1992 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I bought my Subaru used back in 2002 with a little over 100k miles on it, drove it to about 170k miles. It never left me stranded on the side of the road, and only required basic maintenance - water pump @ 125k, a couple CV joints, plugs and wires @ 150k, alternator and battery @ 160k. I just sold it - and made back half what I paid for it 5 years ago. Yearly, I probably spent about $300-$500 on maintenance, which is excellent for a 10-16 year old vehicle. I absolutely got my money's worth on this car - and then some.

Reliability is absolutely its best feature. Secondly, maintenance is a breeze. Everything is totally accessible from the fuel and oil filters to the belts and alternator. Third, it's a pretty enjoyable car to drive, a smooth ride, and feels much like a Honda Accord, only at a fraction of the price.

The paint job on mine was miserable, the clear coat was gone when I bought it. The cupholders are too small and poorly placed. Would be nice if back seats would fold down. And tilt steering would have been a definite bonus. Trivial inconveniences, really, but would be an improvement nonetheless.

Never Let Me Down!
By John A

Bought new in '92 Have put on 182000
miles. Still original clutch! Still
original exhaust system. Only work I
ever needed was axles, just replaced
struts at 179K and alternator at 181K.
I couldn't ask for more out of this
car. Engine & Trans still operate
perfectly. I've never done an easier
oil change than this car, everything is
super accessible

Hill holder clutch is a fabulous feature especially for people that are uncomfortable with a stick. Love that the headlights shut off with the key and the drivers window rolls itself up!

Cupholder in bad place, obscures the radio. The black trim flakes (painted over chrome). Fold down backseat would've been nice

Subaru's ROCK!
By ryleynoyes

This thing will not die, I swear. I
have 191,000 miles on it, and the
engine is running absolutly perfect.
I've changed both front CV joints, and
the transmission is getting a little
out of sync or something like that
(doesn't shift into reverse as fast as
it used to). I also love how it doesn't
have a speed limiter/speed cut out (not
naming how fast it's gone for legal
reasons :D)

I absolutely love the hand Emergency/Park brake. Very fun to use for "Rallying" on gravel roads.

A little more power would be nice, but it has a sufficient amount for a family car of its size. Would be awesome in a two door, because of less weight.

You Just Can't Kill This Thing!
By Scott P.

1992 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

With over 200,000 miles, my Legacy runs like a champ!

I have replaced:

- CV joints twice
- front and rear struts
- the clutch twice
- the alternator twice
- shocks once

It handles well in snow, the engine doesn't "click", the doors close with a solid "chunk", I now 29 mpg

Very little surface rust and the paint still looks good. It's not the sharpest car in the parking lot but it's been paid for for a LONG time and it still runs like a champ!