Used 1992 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

1992 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

The best little car I've owned yet.
By G.

1992 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

I bought my Subaru used back in 2002 with a little over 100k miles on it, drove it to about 170k miles. It never left me stranded on the side of the road, and only required basic maintenance - water pump @ 125k, a couple CV joints, plugs and wires @ 150k, alternator and battery @ 160k. I just sold it - and made back half what I paid for it 5 years ago. Yearly, I probably spent about $300-$500 on maintenance, which is excellent for a 10-16 year old vehicle. I absolutely got my money's worth on this car - and then some.

Favorite Features

Reliability is absolutely its best feature. Secondly, maintenance is a breeze. Everything is totally accessible from the fuel and oil filters to the belts and alternator. Third, it's a pretty enjoyable car to drive, a smooth ride, and feels much like a Honda Accord, only at a fraction of the price.

Suggested Improvements

The paint job on mine was miserable, the clear coat was gone when I bought it. The cupholders are too small and poorly placed. Would be nice if back seats would fold down. And tilt steering would have been a definite bonus. Trivial inconveniences, really, but would be an improvement nonetheless.

You gotta have one!
By S. Faber

1992 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This car has never let me down! It has fabulous handling in all weather. Has 220,000 miles and still only uses maybe 1 quart of oil per year. Had to replace struts after 180,000 miles and CV joints after 200,000 and all four brake drums. Still peppy as ever! Fan went out in the interior after 175,000. But all doors and windows still work perfectly and close well. Cloth interior still looking as good as new, very little wear. Gas mileage 26 and still holding. Automatic seat belt on passenger side went out after 175,000. Minor stuff! A fabulous car, it spoiled me! A easy car to work on and things are easy to get to.

Favorite Features

I loved its peppy ride and the all wheel drive; I couldn't get stuck even when I tried. It was so maintenance free I am still amazed at the number of miles and I barely have to even check the oil. It handles great even up hills and still maintains its powerful ride.

Suggested Improvements

I don't have but one improvement suggestion, and that would be to move the cup holders out of the way of the tape deck. It truly is a fantastically designed car.

Never Let Me Down!
By John A

1992 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

Bought new in '92 Have put on 182000 miles. Still original clutch! Still original exhaust system. Only work I ever needed was axles, just replaced struts at 179K and alternator at 181K. I couldn't ask for more out of this car. Engine & Trans still operate perfectly. I've never done an easier oil change than this car, everything is super accessible

Favorite Features

Hill holder clutch is a fabulous feature especially for people that are uncomfortable with a stick. Love that the headlights shut off with the key and the drivers window rolls itself up!

Suggested Improvements

Cupholder in bad place, obscures the radio. The black trim flakes (painted over chrome). Fold down backseat would've been nice

subie
By dags

1992 Subaru Legacy Sedan LS 4dr Sedan AWD

I love my car!!! 1992 loaded LS w/airbags

Favorite Features

2 8 in. subwoofers

Suggested Improvements

better interior fit n finish

Subaru's ROCK!
By ryleynoyes

1992 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan

This thing will not die, I swear. I have 191,000 miles on it, and the engine is running absolutly perfect. I've changed both front CV joints, and the transmission is getting a little out of sync or something like that (doesn't shift into reverse as fast as it used to). I also love how it doesn't have a speed limiter/speed cut out (not naming how fast it's gone for legal reasons :D)

Favorite Features

I absolutely love the hand Emergency/Park brake. Very fun to use for "Rallying" on gravel roads.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power would be nice, but it has a sufficient amount for a family car of its size. Would be awesome in a two door, because of less weight.