1992 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
The People's Car for snow country
By bait989 on 07/02/10 20:03 PM (PDT)

1992 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought car for less than $1,000 because it needed wheels(+tires). Chassis has 200k miles, but newer engine has less than 100k miles. A/C is acting up, and I wish I had the 5 spd manual because the 4 spd auto is a dinosaur. Factory stereo was decent, but was showing age until I replaced it. Oodles of space, great fuel economy (for its weight), and amazing reliability (with proper care) have made this little car earn a place in my family :) (His name is Oliver). Just keep up on the tire alignments and the awd Subaru Legacy will deliver hundreds of thousands of miles going wherever you need to go.

New opinion of foreign cars!
By Frank on 06/13/10 00:46 AM (PDT)

1992 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon

I used to believe all foreign cars were junk. But i got this car for 700 out of desperation and could not be happier. Every time i go to do some work on it i am impressed with it's design. It is pushing 200,000 miles and the engine sounds great. I am incredibly impressed with the power that it's small 2.2 and automatic transmission have, and it is easy to control. I am getting around 25 mpg which is very impressive. Engine is small and very easy to work on (i pulled the crank pulley with out removing anything but the belts). It starts right away and will run all day long perfectly happy. I have even had the car loaded down with 5 full grown adults and i couldn't even tell. Very happy!

Never Quits
By browncoat on 03/05/10 11:24 AM (PST)

1992 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this car from it's first owner with 200,000 miles on it. Now has over 250k and we've only had to replace the muffler, the harmonic balancer and the alternator - amazing for a car that's been around this long. "Reliable" doesn't even cover it! Couldn't ask for a better "get out of debt" car. Not very pretty after hitting a deer last winter, but one learns humility :).

Runs every day
By subaru owner 4 life on 11/21/09 20:05 PM (PST)

1992 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

I got this car 3 years ago and it was from the first owner and had only 77,000 miles on it. Three years later, it now has 220,000 miles on it and still running. I've had to put in about $1000 in it every year, but that includes tires and other regular maintenance. I drive over 100 miles on most days and have taken it on long trips. It has always started up for me and has just been an all around awesome car for our family. Inside is roomy enough for my 6'4" husband, 5 year old, and 3 dogs. We have taken this car off-road several times and it's always made it. I have had to replace the struts twice and it's on it's way to get another set so we can still have it as a back-up car.

The best little car I've owned yet.
By G. on 03/03/07 20:42 PM (PST)

1992 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

I bought my Subaru used back in 2002 with a little over 100k miles on it, drove it to about 170k miles. It never left me stranded on the side of the road, and only required basic maintenance - water pump @ 125k, a couple CV joints, plugs and wires @ 150k, alternator and battery @ 160k. I just sold it - and made back half what I paid for it 5 years ago. Yearly, I probably spent about $300-$500 on maintenance, which is excellent for a 10-16 year old vehicle. I absolutely got my money's worth on this car - and then some.

You gotta have one!
By S. Faber on 08/28/05 15:56 PM (PDT)

1992 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Sedan

This car has never let me down! It has fabulous handling in all weather. Has 220,000 miles and still only uses maybe 1 quart of oil per year. Had to replace struts after 180,000 miles and CV joints after 200,000 and all four brake drums. Still peppy as ever! Fan went out in the interior after 175,000. But all doors and windows still work perfectly and close well. Cloth interior still looking as good as new, very little wear. Gas mileage 26 and still holding. Automatic seat belt on passenger side went out after 175,000. Minor stuff! A fabulous car, it spoiled me! A easy car to work on and things are easy to get to.

Incredible car
By RayD on 08/01/05 00:37 AM (PDT)

1992 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

Hard to imagine a more suitable car for snow country. The AWD works flawlessly. Wife bought it new in '92, she bought a new Outback in '02 and the kids still drive this one. Maintenance is a snap. BUT has always pinged on regular gas - and only a few premiums work well so fuel costs are higher than they should be. Now my kids are fighting over who gets Mom's old car. It's peeling paint in a few spots, but still starts and runs very well. One of them will have a GREAT 2nd car.

Captured by Reliability
By DesireeM on 11/16/04 21:02 PM (PST)

1992 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Subu new in 92 after 6 months of research. It had everything I wanted (AWD, A/C, ABS, auto seat belt, etc.) including a reasonable price. Prior to this car, I used to toss my cars when the ashtrays got full, but something made me want to hold on to this one. Reliable, loads of space and has been peppy for a 4 banger.

great car!!!
By Lukyasha on 08/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Subaru Legacy LS 4dr Wagon

bought the car 8 years old. Driven 120k already no major problem yet. Happy with it.

Never Let Me Down!
By John A on 08/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Subaru Legacy L 4dr Sedan

Bought new in '92 Have put on 182000 miles. Still original clutch! Still original exhaust system. Only work I ever needed was axles, just replaced struts at 179K and alternator at 181K. I couldn't ask for more out of this car. Engine & Trans still operate perfectly. I've never done an easier oil change than this car, everything is super accessible